Our partner

Vinyl Adiction

Spending addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Aries411

Vinyl Adiction

Postby Zeppelin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Hello there and nice entering at your forum .
For about 2 years now i have had a very weird adiction on VINYL , this adiction has not only beeing a buying adiction , but also a Selling adiction .
I started buying vinyl for my plesure and then thought that i could sell them , when i tried doing some selling on the internet and saw that i was very sucessfull .
Now this made me doing this thing:
Every time i sell records i go and buy again with the same money other records , i sell some records i go buy again , this has made my house a Record shop .
I have now more than 10.000 Records and the only thing i do is whenever i make money i go and buy more and it continues every month .
I have tried to stop this but whenever i try it i have the fear that i sell my resources that i make money by buying all the time again and again , and then selling and selling .
There is Also this .
If i sell something for 15 $ , i go buy again the same record for 12 $ and sell it again for 15 $ (because someone may buy some others ) .
Now i have so many records that if sell them i may make a fortune ( I even have records that cost 200 $ each that i do not hear them ) i just have them there and sell them.
I want to stop this but all the time the thing continues ...
I think this is some kind Adiction ,and i have to stop it.
I have my Job , and make enough money to live .
Zeppelin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Vinyl Adiction

Postby Ada » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, Zeppelin. :D Do you know what triggers the buying? Is there something that you think or feel beforehand?

And likewise for the selling. Are you able to track what is happening. Just before you start that process? Something internal to you. Or perhaps external. Like having a bad day at work or phoning a friend?

You say that you were very successful at selling initially. Before this became an addiction. Have you been successful like that. At other things in your life too?
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby Zeppelin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Hello and thank you for answering , unfortunantly sometimes i cannot track allways what is happening as this is a huge amount of items and i do not have a shop.
I don't realy know what triggers the buying but i think that curiosity that i may find something worth it. Buy something for 2 $ sell it for 7 $, but you have to find out about it after buying it , if it is not worth more than the money i pay i just unstock it and then don't buy it the same price .
I have been very sucessfull at my work , and mostly at work everybody is pleased with me , but this became and adiction after i started selling the records where i started digging all places with old stuff and doing experiments (i bought this 2 $ sell it 5 $ ) will it sell for 6$ ? i bought it for 20 cents ,e.t.c
P.S.
I allways liked to buy junk , when i found it cheap even if it did not make any sense .
I go out on boot fairs , something like Car boot sales where individual go and sell stuff and markets where people sell all kind of stuff and buy Crap. It seems that i like it going to those places a lot and finding stuff , i have bought so much junk (some usefull ) .
Before this becomes and adiction i visited those boot fair places and bought all kind of stuff (Liked it a lot ) , didn't realy spend a lot money but i enjoyed it . Now the only thing i do is go there and buy vinyl , nothing else .
Before this becomes and adiction i visted those places and bought ,old books,magazines , weird stuff (cheap 50 cents 1 $ ) , i enjoyed it , or bought all kind of stuff.
Zeppelin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:02 am

Postby NewSunRising » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Zeppelin ,

What do you envision your future as ? Do you want to be free of the need to buy these things or do you just want to return to a manageable level ?

If you are in this as a business , you have to ask yourself if what you are doing makes good business sense . I hope you can find a way get this under control . Resisting an urge is always a battle in the beginning . In my experience , the first few months are the toughest . After I fought off my impulses a few times ( I'm a compulsive gambler ) , they had less and less hold over me .

I was able to rationalize why I was feeling compelled to do this thing and it was easier to talk myself out of doing it . In the past , I just gave in without thinking and that only ended up fueling my addiction .

I found it helpful to give myself "permission" to act on the impulse , but that I had to do something else first : read a chapter of a book , walk around the block twice , have lunch , call a friend , play a game on my phone , etc.

The " I have to do this first " rule was used to buy me time - to let the urge die down to the point where logic could overcome it . I had pretty good success with that .

All the best ,
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am

Return to Spending Addiction Forum