Our partner

Intense phobia of wasps

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Intense phobia of wasps

Postby Spider Man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I have a quite intense wasp phobia and desperately want to get better.

-Whenever I am close to a wasp, particularly if one enters my bedroom, I automatically try to get away from it - a 'flight' response.
-If one buzzes around me outside, I flinch and make a startled sound.
-It affects my day to day life because I always try to make sure I don't encounter them, such as by having my bedroom door closed all of the time, and acting wary when the patio door is open during dinner.
-The fear has also moved to flies (as in blowflies), because when i hear a buzzing sound and see a relatively large insect buzzing around, the same response is triggered. Bees aren't so bad because they rarely enter houses and don't buzz around you outside.
-I am even conditioned to dislike sunny weather during the summer, and I feel much more happy when it is raining. When it is winter, it feels like it is my 'free time' because it is cooler and most insects are dead/hibernating.

Overall, I feel like I am trapped because of this phobia.

Funnily enough, I was fine up until a few years ago - I only began to develop the phobia during Summer 2010. I don't remember being even remotely scared before that. The strange thing is that when I look back on it, it seems impossible for me to be like I was then. I am frustrated sometimes because I think 'Why can't I just be like I was then?'
Spider Man
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Intense phobia of wasps

Postby jasmin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi, Spider Man! Did anything happen before this phobia started, that might have triggered it? Have you had phobias before? Are you in therapy by the way? hehe Sorry about all the questions.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Spider Man » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 pm

jasmin wrote:Hi, Spider Man! Did anything happen before this phobia started, that might have triggered it? Have you had phobias before? Are you in therapy by the way? hehe Sorry about all the questions.

Nope I just randomly developed the anxiety! Never been stung or anything. Makes it all the more frustrating if anything.
Spider Man
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jasmin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Ever had other phobias or did something stressful happen before you developed this one?
Hey, maybe you could try talking to a professional and see if they can help. Not being able to get out of the house must be awful.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:35 am

Wasps are the Devil's spawn. The enmity between wasps and I runs deep.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am

Postby Graveyard76 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:20 pm

snaga2.0 wrote:Wasps are the Devil's spawn.

I 100% agree with this.

The world would surely be a better place without these EVIL creatures.
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another." - The 7th Doctor.

* * * TRIGGER WARNING * * *
Graveyard76
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Snaga » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:23 pm

Evil's a strong word but they are Nature's booby traps. They sting me every chance they get and I kill every one of them I find.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Koopa » Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 am

I have a phobia of bees and wasps. I am not afraid to kill wasps with poison, though. If they make a nest near my front door, they die.

I don't kill bees though. Even though I am uncomfortable around them, I know they are not aggressive, and I know they are good creatures that play a major role in the environment.

Unlike the topic creator, I know exactly what I have this phobia from; being stung under my fingernail as a child by a bee that was resting on my head. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but I'm a lot more comfortable around bees than I was when I was a child.
Officially diagnosed: ADHD, Clinical Depression. "Unofficially" diagnosed: Schizotypal

Please forgive me if I do not read the entirety of long posts, I often have difficulty doing so.
Koopa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DarknessFalls » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:21 pm

I have a wasp phobia too. Bees are OK, though. They're cute and mostly they mind their own business and don't go after anyone.
DarknessFalls
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Postby Koopa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:16 pm

DarknessFalls wrote:I have a wasp phobia too. Bees are OK, though. They're cute and mostly they mind their own business and don't go after anyone.

This is how I feel, too, but when they buzz around me it still makes me dodge them by habit and makes me a little uncomfortable.

I'd never hurt one by choice, though.
Officially diagnosed: ADHD, Clinical Depression. "Unofficially" diagnosed: Schizotypal

Please forgive me if I do not read the entirety of long posts, I often have difficulty doing so.
Koopa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post