Our partner

Fear of water.

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Fear of water.

Postby Kasai » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:21 am

This is just getting ridiculous. I can't live a life like this.
This Phobia follows up with my Pyromania. (I've already posted in the Pyromania forum, I thought it'd be kinda weird to post this in there.) I just hate and fear water. The way it feels, the sounds it makes is just horrible.
It's not like I don't bathe or anything. I shower very quickly, not too quickly where I can't wash anything but pretty quick. I wear earplugs in the shower and when I'm washing dishes. I really get scared from the sound of it, and personally hate it. Originally i've not liked water too much, but not now to this degree. I practically have a panic attack if I get splashed with water and hear it at the same time. This is pathetic. And obviously I can't just block out water from my life. I just want to be able not to look like i'm having a seizure when i'm washing the dishes. Not just look it but feel it, too.
Nobody really believes me, either. Back when I had a Therapist and told her about it she'd think that was ridiculous and kind of just laugh or shrug it off. My coworkers think I'm faking when I'm washing the dishes at work and are shaking and trying not to cry. My one friend believes me but she calls me a cat and gives little support about it.
I've learned to control it from an extent. I can have drinks and not be as scared. I still am a little but that fades away if i'm with somebody. It's basically only running water. But from how I got over drinks was just getting use to it. I can't get use to this. Atleast for how long it takes, this is affecting my social life and preventing me from doing a lot of stuff i'd like to do.

Honestly? I don't know what is triggering this. And i'm not guessing it is anything. So please don't try to suggest "This is what's wrong and this is why" Please.

Thanks.
If I have your child, I will definitely give birth to it!- Grell Sutcliff
Kasai
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Fear of water.

Postby Chucky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi,

I don't believe that this fear is anything to joke about ... fears can arrive in relation to virtually anything. Yor therapist's reaction was therefore surprising and ignorant. However, why were you originally assigned to that therapist? it might have been for something out of the realm of phobias. If you are still in contact with your doctor, then go over this phobia with him/her and see what can be done.

Overcoming it should be performed in a similar fashion as per other phobias - i.e. gradual and increasing exposure [to the phobia] over a long period of time in order to become more comfortable with it.

Take care
Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Postby Kasai » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:47 pm

I was originally assigned to the Therapist after a psyche ward for attemption of suicide. She was asking me what I thought could of been triggering those actions and I mentioned my phobia as a just-in-case basically.
I'll try and see if I can get in contact with my doctor and see what he can do. But usually in ohio they don't really have phobia or fear treatment centers. But like I said.. I'll try.

Thanks.
If I have your child, I will definitely give birth to it!- Grell Sutcliff
Kasai
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 am

Postby Chucky » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Kasai wrote:I was originally assigned to the Therapist after a psyche ward for attemption of suicide. She was asking me what I thought could of been triggering those actions and I mentioned my phobia as a just-in-case basically.
I'll try and see if I can get in contact with my doctor and see what he can do. But usually in ohio they don't really have phobia or fear treatment centers. But like I said.. I'll try.

Thanks.

I'm glad that you will try... please let me know how it goes for you Kasai.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post