Our partner

vomitting

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Postby JamesMD » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Boy, it is interesting to read this. I come from a family where most of us are afraid to vomit. Weird.

Personally, I have had this fear since 10 years old. I went from the age of ten until I was 39 without ever vomiting. At 39 I did, and I was shocked. It was not as big of a deal as I had made it out to be over all those years. Now, I don't have the fear of vomiting, but I do still have a fear of nausea, gagging and choking. Vomiting by itself is actually "easy" and less uncomfortable than everything that proceeds it.
JamesMD
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby musicandscience » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 am

Emetophobia. Jeez, it's hell! I'm 16 and I've had it for about 4 years. I got it from seeing how it affected people around me. I used to have a friend who got sick a lot, and it freaked me out a bit, but Mum's rather susceptible to stomach bugs and that kinda thing so when she gets sick it scares the living hell out of me. It's a negativity thing as well - I tend to assume the absolute worst so when she gets sick I think it's something like a brain tumour, no joke.

However, my emetophobia encompasses basically everything - I'm terrified of ANYBODY vomiting, whether it's in real life or on TV/movies, I hate reading about it, I even used to get the shakes talking about it! I've made myself have severe, lengthy panic attacks to stop myself from vomiting. I have to consider myself kinda luck though - I never get physically sick anymore. In my entire life, I think I've thrown up maybe 4, 5 times. Not since I was 6.
musicandscience
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 am

Postby hsp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi there friend! I am totally like you I HATE throwing up. Now I dont get the headaches. A colleuge of mine has migrain headaches and she will feel sick if she does not take her meds or if she does not stay at home. Friend, i advise you to talk to your doctor about this. I KNOW how fearful it can be wiht you feel nausious...I BEG God to not let me get sick!

Good luck to you and God bless! :)
hsp
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:16 am

Postby jonnyjonny_uk » Fri May 04, 2007 11:02 pm

I was also like this when i was younger but thankfully just seemed to grow out of it:)
NEVER FEAR http://www.ofear.com PHOBIA FORUMS
jonnyjonny_uk
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: vomitting

Postby withtheilluminati » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:36 pm

I've been emetophobic since grade school, one of the main reasons that I think I am is because when I was younger I would have sleepovers with my best friend and a couple of times during those sleepovers I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up. This would derail the sleepover; my best friend would start crying and saying that she wanted to go home, so I guess part of the fear is based in rejection. (that's all a bit Freudian but it makes sense) Also, when I was 7, I got really terrible food poisoning and was throwing up to the point that I couldn't control my body; it was worse than it had been before (I remember when I was younger it was just unpleasant but I was never terrified of it happening) and I think that experience is what I'm afraid of now, because I haven't thrown up since that night at 7 years old (I'm 18 now) so I have no clear memory of a less out-of-control, scary experience.
withtheilluminati
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:16 am

Postby AnxxietyAttacks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:17 pm

I have this phobia. I'm not quite sure how it started, but when I see someone vomiting or when I feel like I am going to vomit, I mentally blackout so bad. I've mentally blacked out so bad a few times I thought I had passed out but I "woke up" or came back in the same position I was standing in. It was so bad, I asked the person next to me how long I was out and it was only 1 min and I thought it was like an hour. I have no clue why this happens but it's definitely scary and not good for me. I suffer from extremely bad migraines though.
And we don't know
Just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
AnxxietyAttacks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:16 am
Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby From Mars » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 pm

I understand where everyone is coming from. I don't think I have it to the level of an actual phobia. It doesn't effect my life or whatever. But I would definitely say I'm more scared of vomiting than the average person. When I feel unwell, I pray that I won't vomit. I turn away if someone is vomiting on the TV, and walk away in person if I can. Even animals vomiting gives me the same reaction. I just hate everything about it, it's horrible! My mum is the same, so maybe I picked it up from her.
JADE
From Mars
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby srzopfi15 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:30 am

I'm a teen and I have a more specific fear: throwing up in school. I think it's because a couple of months ago I got really panicked and asked to be excused and eventually threw up outside. It didn't feel all that bad, but I'm afraid of it happening in public because of the embarrassment. Since then I've only had to be excused once, and that time I didn't throw up. However, it still stresses me out. A root cause of the fear is that I'm 5'10" and about 125-130 pounds (keep in mind that I'm a teen), so eating less due to fear is a bad long-term option. Forcing myself to come to class helps a lot even though I've felt very stressed some of those times. It helps knowing my dad had the same problem when he was younger.
Last edited by lilyfairy on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PM to follow
Infrequent visitor.
srzopfi15
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:16 am

Postby EarlyMorning » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:03 pm

confuzzed_matt wrote:My name is matt ross im 16 years old, and when ever i get the slightest headache or something i think oh know im gonna get sick, and then i get really nauseated,but i never throw up, i know its not a big deal but for some reason throwing scares me and im sick of feeling like this, i need some help.

sounds like migraines. go with it. being sick gets rid of the headache.
Life is full of small disappointments - Henrik Hanssen
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Previous

Return to Specific Phobias