Our partner

Blattodephobia - Fear of Roaches

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Blattodephobia - Fear of Roaches

Postby JellyBeanKruger » Tue May 31, 2011 4:27 am

Searched this forum and saw that there were only a couple of posts on this,
and that they were very old anyway.

Who has it? How common is it? Are there any success stories for y'all to share?
I am so tired of getting made fun of at work (I work in a retail store with a
bunch of teenagers)...

Any input would be much appreciated :)

-Courtney
JellyBeanKruger
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Blattodephobia - Fear of Roaches

Postby Chucky » Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Hey,

I'm replying because Ifear that no-one else will. I actually love cockroaches (I studied them briefly) but I an understand how a pesron could be fearful of them. Do you know when (and, better, why) your fear developed? For example, I'm claustrophic because many years ago when i was younger I was 'caught' in a kids' play tunnel thing, and it was dark.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:07 am

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm replying, Chucky. :) I actually find phobias interesting.

Interesting, but not strange. Many people are disgusted by roaches. & When I say "many", I mean basically "all". I'm not downplaying your phobia, however. Obviously you would not have come here seeking help if it wasn't disrupting your life.

Do you get a lot of roaches in your retail store? Is that why they make fun of you? & I second what Chucky asked, is there anything in your past that could have produced this phobia? Usually there is a past trauma that creates a phobia.

I don't know what the phobia is called but I have a phobia of balls been thrown at me. It's pretty severe. Disrupted my life quite a bit in high school in gym class. It came about because when I was very young my step-uncle threw a large ball at my head & I was hit pretty hard. I was sobbing. I also have trouble with claustrophobia & agoraphobia at times but it isn't that severe.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby JellyBeanKruger » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks for responding, y'all!

There aren't many roaches in the store I work at, I have only seen one. But, I work as a greeter sometimes. And I'm not allowed to walk around or leave that spot.... I saw it next to my podium. When I tried to get people to kill it, it disappeared. I spent the next seven hours standing in a spot that had a potentially hidden roach near me. It made me cry... I kept asking people (co-workers) to find it and kill it, having to explain my fear to make them understand how important it was. It was never found, but people do still make fun of me for being scared of them.

I believe I do have an idea how it began...
I grew up in Texarkana, TX, which is a very warm and humid town,
where water bugs thrive....
They were everywhere, no matter how cleanly you lived. They would just fly through the living room like a junebug.

I have always been fearful, though, even then. I remember being scared
to eat cereal for some reason, because I thought a roach may be at the
bottom of the bowl. I have NO clue why I would think this.

My mother, however, told me a story of something that happened when I was a baby.
It's fairly disgusting....

I was young enough to be teething. You know how babies will put anything in sight in their mouths.
She left the room for a second, while I was crawling around on the floor.
Yes, she came back and saw exactly what you think.
Luckily, I had no teeth yet and she was able to retrieve it alive.... so.... there was no actual consumption.

I've been told that story since I was about 8.
Yes, it makes me shudder.

I have full-blown panic attacks when I have to hunt one down and kill it myself... Because they skitter, and they WILL run at you. I have always felt shame for having the attacks, as my mom would tell me I was being dramatic and ridiculous, saying that I've never feared them. She now agrees I have the phobia and how it started, but the shame is still there.
JellyBeanKruger
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby babybowrain » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:03 pm

I don't see why you would like roaches. They're dirty, they have antennas like aliens, they hung around in garbage bins, and they appear out of no where like ghosts. I mean...from one blattodephobic to another...I think it's natural :P
babybowrain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm

I think that I like them because I studied their habits, life-cycle, and body structure before I had even seen one. I had grown to respect them somewhat because they are such a successful animal species. they eat virtually anything, including ink and bone. They all have wings too, I believe, but some species d'nt use 'em.

What happened in your youth sounds like a plausible reason, JellyBeanKruger. In my youth, I developed a fear of people being kidnapped that extended well into my teenage years. I don't know if there's a 'phobia' word for that particular fear though. Still, it's good that you know why the fear developed. Perhaps learning about 'roaches (like I did) will help you to overcome the fear. Just read articles about their habits and such, but make sure it's not an article that has the sole pupose of portraying them in a bad light. Doing this would be almost like 'facing your fear'...

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby JellyBeanKruger » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:00 am

Kevin, I admire your point of view! :)
I really do want to outgrow this fear, particularly because I frequently have nightmares
about being COVERED in the creatures for HOURS...Waking up of course in a puddle of
sweat and a really bad day ahead of me.
Your suggestion sounds like a much more plausible approach for me than the common
ones, such as keeping dead ones and touching them and stuff.
Thank you for your suggestion!!

-Courtney
JellyBeanKruger
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Hey,

i'm glad that you're going to try it. i'm sure that it'll be more beneficial than actually attempting to face a real one. In my eyes right now, 'roaches are just silly creatures that are just going about their own business. They don't really want to associate with us, just as we don't want to associate with them.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby rogan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey
I was doing some research when I ran into this site.
I'm staying at my sister's house in the village (NYC) and the place is crawling with roaches; they're small ones, mind you, but they're there; I think the whole block is infested with pigeons, rodents, roaches. Again, these are tiny roaches, and many of them are babies, which is a sign, I hope, that the latest exterminations have worked.
Anyway, I've had a fear of roaches for as long as I can remember. It's something visceral.

I grew up in Rotterdam and in those days, modern buildings had a trash chute connected with the kitchen. You just opened the hatch and down went your trash bags, all the way to the underground refuse storage. But roaches used that chute to get inside the apartments, and our kitchen was overrun by roaches.

Now, someone in this thread mentioned traumas. I've been trying to get at the origin of this phobia, trying to pinpoint some trauma. Life growing up was decent; we had food on the table and went to good schools but, already back then, I was always jealous of my friends because they had video games, they had top-brand sneakers and shoes, and we could not afford them.

That's not a trauma. My parents fought hard, and my mother screamed a lot. When they got separated, I remember it as being a major relief.

Is that a trauma though?

Anyway, this was some roach population. I remember going in the kitchen late at night for milk or water; switch the lights on, and it's the LA riots in there.

Once I walked into the small anteroom before the kitchen, and a roach actually fell from the doorframe, onto my lips.

I can't remember if when I was 8 I was phobic already or just had that normal repulsion that people have.

So, being at my sister's apartment for two weeks, it's a little unnerving. I'd be typing and some bug is crawling across the desk really fast. they're tiny, but it's still annoying. it gives me a start. I'll stand up really violently; I'll stare at it for a while, and then will try and find a way to squash it without making a mess.

I hate those #####&. not only do they repulse me, I associate filth with them, filth, perversion, and therefore evil (I'm a non-believer). What is further unnerving is to think that we're sharing the space with these assholes. Somewhere between the dishwasher and the sink, there's a nest, maybe more. They've tried everything, barring taking down the entire kitchen.

How's a grown, forty year old man so repulsed by these dumb little bugs?

Rogan
rogan
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:07 am

Postby iCandi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 am

I have an intense fear of roaches as well. I have scary full blown panic attacks and feel like I am going to die when I see one. By my screams and sheer terror you would think someone was trying to murder me. Killing them myself is nearly impossible, I will only spray them from great distances while hyperventilating. And should one run and I can't find it to know its dead anymore, I will not go to sleep. Once, I actually packed my bags and drive out of town to stay with family at 4 in the morning because a huge roach was in bed. I would not return home until basically everything in my room was replaced.

Now this is where it gets weird(er). I'm not sure where this phobia began but for some reason when I see a cock roach, I think it's some sort of evil spirit or a punishment from God. I guess it boils down to some sort of religious persecution delusion, it's strange. But I've gone as far as self-harming and attempting suicide because the sight of a roach feels like God is trying to punish me. I did grow up in a extremely strict religious household but it's odd that I attribute roaches as evil spirits. As you can imagine, I have never been able to tell anyone this. But does anyone else find that their phobia of roaches is related to some sort of delusion?
iCandi
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:07 am

Next

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post