Our partner

Doors & Cash Register Phobia

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Doors & Cash Register Phobia

Postby Lilycat10 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

For a very long time I've had a fear of paying for things at a cash register. I think it's very noticeable too. I panic so badly that I can't count the money correctly and sometimes give the wrong amount. When the person behind the register says " You're missing x amount of $", I panic even more. I can't gather my thoughts to count it correctly. It's so embarrassing. I fidget all nervously and dig through my purse. NEVER EVER will I make eye contact with the person behind the register. Anyone else have this problem? It's not once in awhile.. it's every single time.

My other more recent fear is open and unlocking doors. I've always had trouble with locks & keys. So bad that my parents had to take a marker and write "Lock" & "Unlock" with arrows pointing which direction on the front of the door. That did help me a lot. Otherwise I would have been out there for awhile trying to open the door. It's not that I'm stupid.. it's that I get nervous and don't think straight. I am very very ashamed of this phobia. I had to have an employee in a store "buzz" me into the bathroom the other day and I couldn't open it. All I needed to do was press the handle and push and it just wasn't opening. :( A family member that I visit daily moved into a new house and I am NOT used to unlocking the door and it's killing me everyday. I worry about unlocking that door all day long. Even discussing this is giving me horrible anxiety. :(

I am diagnosed with BPD, GAD, and some OCD traits. I do have a fear of being alone, rejected and abandoned but I already know that's my BPD.

Can anyone relate/ help me with this horrible register & door phobia?

Please don't suggest therapy. I recently terminated therapy because my low cost therapist was a jerk and I cannot afford another one.
Lilycat10
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Doors & Cash Register Phobia

Postby jasmin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 pm

(((((((((Lilycat)))))))))) You could maybe practice the situation at the cash register with someone you know and trust, ask them to behave like the cash register person and ask for this or that amount of money. Maybe you'd become less sensitive to that after a while.
As for doors, you could pretend that they're stuck if you're in a public place... Do you think it might help if you wrote down how certain doors open, from places you go to a lot? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. There might be charities that offer decent therapy, by the way, but there is no rush.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post