Our partner

not sure about this one...

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

not sure about this one...

Postby twinning » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:10 am

Hey guys,
When I was younger I had a friend who had joined the cadet system, and was trying to convince me to join. He said that to join I needed to have a medical examination form my doctor and that his doctor had pricked his finger (obviously looking at his BGLs, he's not diabetic, I guess the doctor was just being thorough). Just hearing that his finger was getting pricked was enough to deter me from joining for several months. I eventually got over it and went to see the doctor who didnt acually do the test.

I grew older (as we all do) and by the time I was 15 I had developed a fear of touching the door handle of a car, or the metal outside, or even trolleys for that matter, because I was worried about the electric shock. This only occured if I was consciously thinking about touching the metal. This sat at the back of my mind for the next two years.

Then I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, which involves Blood Glucose Testing. Normally that would be done on the fingers, however, although I was OK with the injecting of insulin into my stomach area, I could not face a tiny prick on my fingers which I KNOW doesn't hurt. I was then told I should try using the back of my arm. Still no luck using the Lancing device, I had to resolve the problem my manually pricking the back of my arm which I'm totally fine with.

So... what do you guys think? I think there are two things here. 1) I have a fear of (not necessarily a phobia) hurting my fingers/hands/underside of my arms (I could never understand how people can cut their wrists, I understand why, just not how they could do it. Or even tattoos on the underside of the wrists make my legs weak) 2) I have a fear of pain that I cant really control. With the lancing device, once I've pressed the button, the pricking is out of my control, and with the zapping, I know it's a possibility it might happen, but then it might not, so its almost like a gamble?

Can anyone identify, help shed some light on this bad boy of an issue??

Thanks a million guys,
Taylor :)
twinning
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: not sure about this one...

Postby jasmin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi, Taylor! Did anything scary ever happen to you that involved pain in a sensitive area?
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Specific Phobias