Our partner

Phobias

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Phobias

Postby Rustynail » Sun May 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Does anyone have a strong phobia(s)? I mean like claustrophobia, that type of thing. I have a fear of heights myself. Well, the way I look at it, it's not so much the height but the fall and subsequent splat that I fear. One summer a long time ago I worked with an electrician and he warned me about having to climb different heights and such and I was feeling pretty paranoid about it. Anyway, I climbed like 20'-30' ladders and such and I was ok with it. Then one day we had to do this building where it was necessary to climb 120' on an attached ladder. Well sir crap. What a climb that was for me!

I was climbing and climbing and when I felt I should have been near the top, I looked up and could see I still had a ways to go so I looked down (big mistake) and just froze on the spot. I couldn't move either way. I kept telling myself I gotta move but it was like I was paralyzed. After a couple of minutes I told myself I have to move somehow. So I kept looking straight ahead and put one foot above the other, taking each step as a major accomplishment and I finally made it to the top.

Then I had to come back down. Argh, not as bad but it was no picnic either. Anyway, I had to make the climb about 6 more times and in the end it wasn't bothering me hardly at all, which I felt great about. After that summer I never really had to climb heights like that again and my fear returned. I guess it was like exposure therapy to me. It did work but I didn't do it enough for it to stick I guess.

Anyone have a similar experience?
“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”
Carl Jung (1875-1961)

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
Albert Einstein (1879–1955)
Rustynail
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Phobias

Postby SaraShaw » Mon May 10, 2010 12:18 am

Small phobias.

(1) Appliances. Sounds weird but I have had SOOO many appliances either fail or fail to shut off or something like that -- that now, I won't even use them unless necessary.

(2) Elevators. I still ride in them but always am on guard and freak out when something happens.
SaraShaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 am

Postby CSRevenant » Mon May 10, 2010 6:05 am

Spiders and bugs. I have no idea why. And though it isnt a phobia, sometimes I get depressed when I think about my parent and dog dying. I will become hysterical, even though they are all healthy. And of course my avoidance is sort of a phobia.

But aside from that im not really scared about a whole lot. Im worried about becoming crippled or permanently immobile, but not death really.

Heights. I forgot heights.
Don’t tell me I cannot go
With a wound that refuses to mend
Deliver me from all of this
I want you to quicken my end

Don’t say it isn’t so
I’m on a path that you’ll never comprehend
Set me free from all of this
I need you to quicken my end

Criminal - Disturbed
CSRevenant
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby twistermind » Mon May 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Like Sara, two small phobias

heights. I can´t look from a window more than three floors up. Blood. I can´t see blood. I can´t go on this last. I guess it can be related to fear of death. Anyway, I don´t worry the first one I´m not gonna climb the Everest and in relation to the second one, I have seen that in a case of emergency I forget the fear and act.

What you say is the only way I know to overcome a phobia, that is, face to your fear over and over again.
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Parador » Mon May 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Flying. Heck, just about any public transportation. Pretty much any situation where I am in with a group of strangers. I think that counts as social phobia. But flying is the worst because I would have no control - if the pilot was a nut it's over. Maybe if I learned to fly myself it would be better.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby GuySmiley » Tue May 11, 2010 4:35 am

Heights, very much acrophobic. Many times my dreams involve me climbing up someplace too high and not being able to climb back down due to that panic feeling. I hate those facking dreams, they always wake me up and put me in a great mood to start the day.
Parador, you drive as fast as your car can go without a seatbelt on the off-chance that something might go wrong yet you worry about a suicidal pilot? :D
I'd think it's the passengers you should be more concerned with, if you fall alseep the guy beside you might cut off your head and start eating you. No wait, that's the bus.
GuySmiley
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:17 am

Postby Parador » Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 pm

GuySmiley wrote:Parador, you drive as fast as your car can go without a seatbelt on the off-chance that something might go wrong yet you worry about a suicidal pilot? :D

I'm not so sure you die right away in a plane crash. I can see myself getting burned alive. As for the pilot - I just don't like it when someone else has that much control over my fate. In my car I am in charge. If I want to be an idiot them it's ok with me. And my car tops out at 115. What do those planes do? 500 mph?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Piano~Phantom » Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't fear heights or flying and all that common stuff? Okay, I'm afraid of cars and would prefer to ride my bike places, but... :roll:

I'm afraid of being exposed by any means. I have to have my arms, chest, legs, feet, everything covered... I even hide my face behind my hair and refuse to move it out of the way. I also don't like to be exposed as in having some one know me too well or know stuff or catch on to stuff I'd rather keep to myself no matter how important it is to my well-being.

Oh yes... and mirrors and air vents. They scare the living daylights out of me. I don't know why, though...
"Could we fix you if you broke?"

-Stefani Germanotta, "Speechless"
Piano~Phantom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Specific Phobias