Our partner

hemophobia or something else?

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

hemophobia or something else?

Postby WinterRebecca » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:00 pm

I am very new to these forums and let me say a little unsure about where I need to post, but I am getting to a state where I am desperate for help with my phobia.

A few months ago I did work experience at a local veterinary clinic, I have been around sick and injured animals, before but never felt sick. However, when a dog with an infected cut was brought in, I had to watch the vet use a metal like thread to sew up the cut after disinfecting it, I felt dizzy, my face became white, I felt hot and cold at the same time and I ended up fainting.
It seems to be the opening of and watching work done on something that should be internal of an individual, but since there is pretty much always blood around in that case, I am not sure if it's the blood I really have a phobia of.

My biggest problem with this is that since I was 6 years old I have been wanting to take a further education in veterinary medicine, but al of a sudden I seem hit with this fear. I am not even sure what it is of, just watching blood I seem to be ok with, but I can't watch surgery or anything to do with inside the body anymore, all of a sudden even films make me feel sick.

I feel fustrated over this fear and I want to seek help, but where do I go? What would this fear classify as? Since it doesn't seem to be blood specifically but rather internal vision of the body. Does anyone have suggestions to getting over this fear?
WinterRebecca
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: hemophobia or something else?

Postby Chucky » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi,

The way you should appreoach this is by talking about it with those who have been in your area for a long time. All you must do is send a lecturer an email and say that you'd like to talk about something in private for a few minutes; and then you just ask if they've ever had a fear in the same way that you have. Trust me, this has probably happened many times before, and your lecturers will be very accomodating and understanding. I think you'll also find that the more you experience these things, the easier they'll be to cope with. That first time you saw the blood and such, it probably took you by surprise (i.e. you didn't expect to see it, and it shocked you).

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Postby WinterRebecca » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, so you think it's something that will go away simply with practise and time?
WinterRebecca
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Yes, exactly. The more you are exposed to 'that' environment, the easier it will become. You enjoy the work overall, right?; and the entire academic area that you're in? i still think that just talking to a senior lecturer is a good idea too though.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Postby WinterRebecca » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm

Well thank you, you've been helpfull, others give me advice like "seeing the body as an operating system", which is hard when you learn about it, but I'll try to have a talk with someone anyway. Enjoy the rest of your day.
WinterRebecca
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Specific Phobias