Our partner

Severity of phobia, increasing or decreasing?

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Severity of phobia, increasing or decreasing?

Postby 1234321 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Just curious, anyone here with specific phobias, does your phobia increasingly get worse, or does it seem to get better gradually? Or some get better and some worse, if you have a few? Or does it depend on when you first got the phobia e.g. as a child compared to as an adult? Or does it stay fairly constant throughout your life, depending, perhaps, on how often you're exposed to the specific object/situation (or other aspects)?

Just explain how it works for you, if you can (i.e. if I make any sense).
And there are too many possibilities.

"This is the price you pay for loss of control." - brandnew
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Severity of phobia, increasing or decreasing?

Postby Ravine » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:34 am

Hi 1234321,

See, if you start taking care of your phobia, gradually it will start decreasing, and if you don't care about it, will get worse. So, why are you waiting? You can try here to get help, just write down your problem here. You will get your solution. :)
Ravine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Postby 1234321 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:40 am

Oh, I'm not necessarily looking for help. It's just that some fears I had when I was younger, like being afraid of the dark, have just decreased as I grew older, from being exposed to it so much, 'though I must admit, I am still afraid of the dark sometimes. Most of the other ones seem to be getting worse, especially the more I'm confronted by them, whether in a negative or positive way. I dunno, I was just curious about how other people feel about it, because some people react differently and stuff? Maybe I'm just crazy. Lol.

Some are ones I have for no good reason and some are ones where I can pinpoint when I first got them.

Fear is THE worst emotion, in my opinion, but it's really interesting. I just like finding out about other peoples' opinions on stuff like that. If no one really wants to talk about it, or if I'm not making sense, that's cool too. It's just something I was thinking about and I felt like asking about it or whatever. 8)
And there are too many possibilities.

"This is the price you pay for loss of control." - brandnew
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 am

Postby SDPhobia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey! That is an excellent question. Specific phobias are so.... well... specific. Haha. Each person experiences them differently.

I have had a phobia of injections since I was about 4 years old. My phobia definitely got worse over time. I think that the reason most phobias progress is the avoidance factor. The more a person avoids what they are afraid of the more they train their brain to be afraid of what they are avoiding. It is an awful loop that just makes things worse and worse.

Since you have been exposed to your phobia over time it makes sense that it is decreasing! I am really glad to hear that it is getting better and not worse. :-)
SDPhobia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 am

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post