Our partner

Terrified of flying

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Terrified of flying

Postby squiid » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:44 am

I am absolutley terrified of airplanes. Not because of 'terrorists' or anything, but the fear of crashing. Before anyone askes, I have flown before! MANY times, and it never gets better, I fly atleast once a year. Everytime, I freak out. I feel like i have no control over it, you know flying in a metal tube at a million miles an hour! Ugh! It's horrible. And when I get on the plane, I could take a three dramamine and be anxious and awake. I get so scared I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. I really want to over come this. Help?
squiid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Terrified of flying

Postby Chucky » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi squiid,

As a person who started to love airplanes, hate them, and then love them again, I think that I can answer your post. Basically, my fear developed once my OCD had also developed. With OCD, I wanted to be in control of everything, but on a airplane, I had no control. I also had a very bad experience on an airplane flying from Buenos Aires to Puert Iguazu (Argentina) back in 2003. Anyway, I am still managing my fear right now but have developed a great love for airplanes. How I'm coping is simply by learning how they work. I bought a book which explains absolutely everything without going into too much detail, and this has helped me immensely.

Here's the book, if you want to get it:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Airliners-Fly ... 729&sr=1-1

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views