Our partner

irrational fear keeping me away from career in forensics

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

irrational fear keeping me away from career in forensics

Postby asocialalso » Sun May 31, 2009 11:40 pm

This may be ultimately silly, and could probably be overcome, but I am horribly afraid of zombies. This includes dead bodies, mainly human.

I am, however, an osteologist/archaeologist. Bones are not at all a problem.

I could easily, so easily step into the field of forensic anthropology. If it weren't for the stench of rotting corpses, I would just have the one other problem. But no, I have the knowledge that decaying (as well as preserved) flesh is completely disgusting to me, but also my irrational fear of dead bodies reanimating. I know I would be constantly looking over my shoulder, jerking at the slightest sound, and probably begin hallucinating.

I don't know why I would react this way to dead bodies, but can happily sift through bones. It has to be that instinctual reaction to the dead being unclean? Don't want to become unclean/dead?

I'm not really looking for a cure, I just figured I'd vent about the utter silliness and frustration of my fear. Sigh.
asocialalso
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: irrational fear keeping me away from career in forensics

Postby Chucky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 am

Hi again,

Thanks for 'venting', but this fear is not entirely 'silly' as you have implied. fears come in every shape and form, don't they? The best way to deal with them is to expose yourself to the fear. You already deal with bones, but humans have the amazing ability to look at bones and not think about the body which those bones once occupied. However, be loose and free with the thoughts of corpses - i.e. allow yourself to freely think about them and dont' shy/run away from them.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post