Our partner

Is this a Phobia?

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is this a Phobia?

Postby Rainbowcupcake » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:59 am

I literally hate this person. He really disgusts me! And now I'm EXTREMELY afraid to touch anything that I think he could have touched or even afraid of going to places where he could have been. I need to know what kind of phobia is this or is this even a phobia at all. If this is a phobia, this is probably the most weirdest phobia you've ever heard of.
Rainbowcupcake
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi,

I wouldn't view this as a phobia. To be honest, I think that it more sounds like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It's as if you are afraid of being 'contaminated' by him. I'm not referring to bugs or dirt or anything like that. I'm just referring to him and him alone. You dont' want to have any form of contact (direct or indirect) with him, and it seems to be in an obsessive way.

Tell me what you think yourself.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ahmado » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I've had that too, and I know someone who had that as well. Personally, I think it is completely normal. Being disguisted about something or someone is just human nature.
I like people who make me feel that I am the person I have always imagined myself to be.
Ahmado
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:20 am

Postby Chucky » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:59 pm

I don't view it as particularly normal, but it's something that I think shy/quiet people get. You didn't say whether or not you are like this, Rainbowcupcake, but I'm just guessing that you are. i have been shy/quiet for my entire life and develop intense hatred for some people. However, I mostly end up not feeling too angry over them.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ahmado » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 pm

The person who I know did this is pretty outgoing. And... aren't shy/quiet people still normal? lol.
I like people who make me feel that I am the person I have always imagined myself to be.
Ahmado
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:20 am

Postby Chucky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:13 am

Okay, then I'll stop generalising. The hatred that this person here is describing sounds rather on the obsessive side though. I mean, if a neurotypical person hates someone, they don't usually go out of their way to avoid them. They can actually come to learn how to communicate with them. Like, at work or in college, if you hate someone, it's still possible to talk to them and mask your hatred.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Rainbowcupcake » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:10 am

Chucky wrote:Hi,

I wouldn't view this as a phobia. To be honest, I think that it more sounds like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It's as if you are afraid of being 'contaminated' by him. I'm not referring to bugs or dirt or anything like that. I'm just referring to him and him alone. You dont' want to have any form of contact (direct or indirect) with him, and it seems to be in an obsessive way.

Tell me what you think yourself.

Kevin

Yes, but I'm not afraid of him, I am just EXTREMELY afraid of being "contaminated" by him like you said (but to the extreme way). For example, if someone touches him, I would avoid that person either. I know it sounds insane! And this is seriously driving me nuts! I'm really stressed out by this! I don't know what to do. I can't even avoid to see a Psychotherapist regarding this.

Yes, I am shy/quiet person but that's only in public.
Last edited by Rainbowcupcake on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainbowcupcake
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Rainbowcupcake » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:23 am

ScienceNerd wrote:I've had that too, and I know someone who had that as well. Personally, I think it is completely normal. Being disguisted about something or someone is just human nature.

In my case (if you read above), I don't think it's completely normal. I mean it's normal to hate a person, to avoid them and usually won't affect their life in any way but this has affected my life and makes me so miserable.
Rainbowcupcake
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Rainbowcupcake, in that case, I definately think that it's OCD. Do you have any other symptoms of OCD?; or do you even know what it is? I know exactly what you are talking about because I feel that way sometimes even with my own family members. If I see them touching something, I then go and wipe it with a cloth. The computer mouse and keyboard are probably the biggest thigns. Also, the fridge handle, things in the toilet, etc.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Rainbowcupcake » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:01 am

Chucky wrote:Rainbowcupcake, in that case, I definately think that it's OCD. Do you have any other symptoms of OCD?; or do you even know what it is? I know exactly what you are talking about because I feel that way sometimes even with my own family members. If I see them touching something, I then go and wipe it with a cloth. The computer mouse and keyboard are probably the biggest thigns. Also, the fridge handle, things in the toilet, etc.

Yes, I just looked it up and I do have other symptoms of OCD such like washing my hands a lot and I don't like people touching my things because I would then have to wash them with soap but as for things I can't wash, like CDs, books, I would then have to throw them away! But for things I can't just throw away, like my computer, my desk, I would then have to wash my hands a lot after touching it. So, I must go out of my way to make sure things are really clean when I know it's clean. So I see you have the same problem (but not to my extreme level), have you overcome it?

Now back to the original case, like I'm not friends with this person anymore, I met him on the internet, and throughout the chat, I've found him to be very annoying, very disturbing, and SUPER disgusting (as referring to his personality) and I just can't ignore him. I even saw him once at my favorite mall and he always goes there!
Could this be just extreme hate and anger? Well, maybe a little I think. Somehow I've developed intense hatred for this person over the years! I have hatred for other people too but it's not like this! I don't react the same way towards other people, only him in particular. And there's NO WAY I could learn how to communicate with him because there's NO WAY I would want to see him again!
So...do you see this also as a OCD? Is there a treatment for this?
Rainbowcupcake
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post