Our partner

Is this a phobia?

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is this a phobia?

Postby Sepia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:54 pm

So I have GERD (heartburn/reflux), and I experience pain from it 24/7. But I can trigger it and cause it to severely worsen by thinking about or attempting almost any kind of task (ex. cooking, talking, drawing, reading, chores, etc.). The task just feels like too much. I avoid tasks when I can because I don't want to experience physical pain, but I can't always avoid them. Could it be a phobia like ponophobia (fear of overwork, pain, fatigue) or ergophobia (fear of work)?

But the thing is, it doesn't get better with exposure, it gets worse over time the more I'm exposed. I don't think exposure can cure it. Is that possible with a phobia?
Sepia
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is this a phobia?

Postby Snaga » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Interesting. I have.. extreme reflux, possibly a hiatal hernia, or God knows what else with my esophagus, it's just eat up. I have wondered, if obsessing about it (I do) does exacerbate, or exaggerate, the symptoms and perceived sensations. The possible hernia really bothers me at work, and at home, and I have to wonder. I know stress makes those worse. I'm guessing because my middle stays tightened up.

If you're going to worry about it getting worse with physical activity, then it isn't unreasonable to think that that added anxiety, and expectation, that it will get worse, makes it get worse. Since anxiety in and of itself can aggravate it. Whether than constitutes a phobia of it, I'm not sure. I have a feeling this could be a chicken/egg discussion.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post