Our partner

Hindering fear of pain

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Hindering fear of pain

Postby EpicSam5189 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:29 pm

I know that most people fear pain, but I don't know anybody who fears it like I do.

To give examples: I won't wear a plaster because of the pain taking it off, I will run until it hurts (I see the glaring irony) and throw my self on the floor to escape bees wasps and ladybirds just to then start crying in pain once I hit the floor. In fact, when confronted with bees wasps and ladybirds I just break down. Injections frighten me way to much, I hate having to cut my nails in case it hurts, if someone tells me something will only hurt a bit it makes things worse for me, and the list goes on.

Not only this, but I have a ridiculously low pain threshold, to the point that the pain causes me to cry if I slightly scrape my elbow.

Does anyone else experience this, in your opinion, would you consider this a phobia and would you consider the bees wasps and ladybirds fear a different phobia?

Thanks in advance for literally any feedback. No matter how positive or negative (I understand that no one here is a professional, at least as far as I know, and I am not asking for any sort of diagnosis.)
Self dx: Dyspraxia (DCD)

Dx: SAD
EpicSam5189
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hindering fear of pain

Postby salted lipstick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi

I really don't know the answer to your question...

But I found myself wondering if you've spoken to a doctor about these symptoms? If you have a really low pain threshold, it might be worth finding out if this is a medical condition or not. Also, you could mention your other anxieties while you are there and perhaps they could suggest someone you could see that could help you work through some of these anxieties?
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Postby EpicSam5189 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m guessing that it has something to do with my poor musckes strength. Doctors have commented that I have poor upperbody, lower body and hip strength. It is to the point that I find it painful to stand up straight, or sit up straight. I also find it difficult to lift 2kg weights in PE, and find pressups impossible. This also gives me poor stamina to the point that I find it hard to run 200m.

I also have hypermobility of the fingers and wrist.

This is all speculation, but it could be related. Either way, like you said, only a doctor can say.

Thanks again for the feedback :)

EpicSam5189
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Holodeck » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:01 pm

I too have had issues with extremely sensitive nerves. I'm curious if you have sensitivity to temperature as well. For instance does cold water feel like thousands of needles?
Holodeck
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:11 am

Postby EpicSam5189 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:19 am

Holodeck wrote:I too have had issues with extremely sensitive nerves. I'm curious if you have sensitivity to temperature as well. For instance does cold water feel like thousands of needles?

Honestly I am not exposed to that many different temperatures (Living in southern Britain nothing too interesting happens with the weather), but cold rain, or just cold air makes my hand and ears hurt ridiculously, and my fingers just go numb for about 15 minutes after re-entering warmth.

However, warm water hurts me quite a lot. I have started crying when using a hot tissue to clear away blackheads, even when basically no pressure is applied.

Sometimes I just feel a random stabbing pain. Generally a lot of things hurt me, even writing (so I will probably get to use a laptop for my GSCEs)

This low pain threshold and tolerance is something I have been looking into for a while, but haven't found anything conclusive.

However, my poor spatial awareness and motor skills as well as social anxiety all seem to point towards dyspraxia (DCD), which sometimes can give someone a low pain threshold (I don't know whether it has an affect on tolerance), so that could help explain it.

Thank for the reply though :)

EpicSam5189
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Holodeck » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am

Look up fibromyalgia and see if that fits you.

Now keep in mind, that's an umbrella term for most doctors. It means that you fit certain symptoms, but often they have no clue what's actually going on.

The good news is I cured mine this year (for the most part).

Turned out for me it was an easily fixable digestive issue. If I were you, I'd talk to a gastroenterologist, and schedule a colonoscopy if you've never had one.

I can't guarantee anything of course. Since I read in late 2015 that fibro is a gut issue, I figure that's as good as place to start as any.
Holodeck

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:11 am

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post