Our partner

Fear of bugs...pretty bad.

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Fear of bugs...pretty bad.

Postby KC17 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:00 am

Hi, I don't know if this is a big deal but it feels like one to me. So bugs really freak me out. When I'm around a bug or if there is a bug somewhere I do my best to avoid it. I don't try to kill it or anything but make my sisters kill it. When there re tiny flys on a bus window I want to get up no move to another seat but I can't bc I think I'll look stupid so I just stare at it and can't enjoy the ride and I like riding buses. When I walk outside in flip flops on grass I am always paranoid that a bug will get on my foot no when there is a bug in the shower that I can't try to wash away I cannot comfortably take a shower. I always am scared there are bugs on furniture or they will fall out of vents or something so I cover my ears and mouth when I sleep. Once there was a ladybug and I was staring at it and it suddenly flew and I screamed so loud my sister yelled at me.

All this sounds comedic when I write it but I start breathing heavily when my sisters even say they saw a bug but it somehow disappeared. I'm on my guard. What can I do to stop being so scared?

Also saying that i shouldn't be scared since I'm bigger doesn't work for me so...
KC17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Fear of bugs...pretty bad.

Postby flutterflier » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm no psychologist, but exposure might be best here. I'd suggest watching bug videos. Perhaps a nature documentary focused on bugs. It might give you the creeps, but you need to remind yourself they are just on a screen and cannot touch you.
If this works, then maybe you can start learning about them. Start with the ladybug. Research them and maybe you'll start finding them interesting.

After this, perhaps get your sister to find a ladybug. Put the ladybug in a jar and observe it. Remember that it cannot hurt you or touch you. It is in a jar.
After a while, have your sister take the ladybug out of the jar. Observe it and remember that while it can touch you, it won't hurt you.

Your fear won't go away in a day and it will take time. But I hope this helps.
It's not worth it.
flutterflier
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Fear of bugs...pretty bad.

Postby KC17 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for the advice.
KC17
Consumer 0
Consumer 0