Our partner

Intense Fear of Certain Bugs

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Intense Fear of Certain Bugs

Postby papayatoot » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:06 am

Hi! I'm a 16 year old girl and I know this may sound mainstream but hear me out. I have an IMMENSE fear of bugs that is everything but physically crippling. It's only certain types of bugs, too- ants, flies, and most spiders don't bother me, but cockroaches, beetles, those giant humungo mosquito beasts, etc are absolutely HORRIFYING. whenever I see one I will scream and immediately start to break down and cry and shake and become extremely paranoid; i cover up as much of my skin as I can and start checking everywhere for bugs. I'm too scared to re-enter the room where the bug was for about 15 minutes and I can't even get within 10 feet of one without the most intense feeling of fear imaginable. Why am I like this? Why is it only certain bugs, and how can I overcome this? :cry:
papayatoot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Intense Fear of Certain Bugs

Postby 2081lily » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Not sure it ever goes away :(... I was like that and I am still like that. Someone told me to try hypnosis!
2081lily
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:06 am

Re: Intense Fear of Certain Bugs

Postby theredthread » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm

I think graduated exposure therapy is particularly good for these kind of, more clear-cut, specific phobias. A therapist would gather as much information as they can about the feared object and any other related information about what might affect your fear reaction. You then work out a graduated exposure plan together. They then, exposure you to the feared thing EXTREMELY gradually (hence the name) through a series of stages starting from the relatively least feared situation to the worst. You would probably only, for example, be looking at picture of those bugs first, or visualising them in your mind, but every scenario would be personalised to your fear specifically. You would repeat each stage, for as long as possible before going onto the next one, and you'd simultaneously be practising breathing techniques etc.

They are treatable, maybe more so than more complex phobias like agoraphobia, etc.

Good luck! It's definitely worth getting treatment for this if it's significantly affecting your life.
theredthread
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:06 am

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post