Our partner

Terrified of several things, the dark, loud sounds, wind,etc

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Terrified of several things, the dark, loud sounds, wind,etc

Postby CarolineP » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:18 am

I am hoping to find people that are having the same types of fears that I do.

My biggest fear is of loud sounds. As far back as I can remember I have been terrified of loud sounds and anything that can make a loud sound. Even as a senior in high school if someone brings a rubber balloon into a class I will fall to the ground crying because I cannot handle the potential of it popping. Automatic flushing toilets freak me out, I cannot go to the bathroom in a building that has the automatic toilets! I can never know when theyre going to go off and I feel as though I'm trapped. Fireworks and guns are the worst. When I see a firework or gun I get physically sick and start to cry, I will scream until the gun is put down or until I know that no one is going to light the firework. Thunder is also terrifying, if I see lightning I have to hold my ears shut until the thunder is gone because I cannot handle the sound.

I am also terrified of wind, I was in a bad storm a few years ago and a giant metal table was picked up by the wind and it hit me, it cut my head and I stayed on the ground in the rain until my mom had to come out and get me. Ever since then my whole body starts to shake if the wind is too strong, or if I can hear it against my house or car.

And the dark, I sleep with the lights on and cannot go outside in the dark. I am so scared of things that could be hiding or lurking in the dark that I cannot turn the lights off in my house if I'm the only one downstairs, the fear is just too real that something will end up being with me.

Sorry for a long post, I would really love to meet other people who have or have had these kinds of fears, or learned how to get over them!
CarolineP
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Terrified of several things, the dark, loud sounds, wind,etc

Postby Smiggles » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm not scared of loud sounds, but they arouse anger in me. it's a trigger of mine.

Having a fear of the dark is very common, I somehow overcame it when I was younger, though.

That being said, I do have a weird fear of flushing toilets, there's just something about it that scares me... I think it's how the water goes down and comes back up again? I always feel the need to escape the room ASAP. I feel trapped. It's a relief that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has these phobias also. :D
*Won't be very active over the next 3 weeks*

There's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.

My previous username is Corgis.
Smiggles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:36 am

Re: Terrified of several things, the dark, loud sounds, wind,etc

Postby atina » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Dear CarolineP:

I got startled by sounds many times. I am aware of a lifetime of me feeling great, often overwhelming distress hearing sounds. I finally moved at 53 years old to a quite place, away from other houses but I am still bothered by hearing dogs barking or the neighbors although far away, but I can still hear sometimes voices and it bothers me intensely. In the past I used was earplugs which damaged my ears and I got a sleep machine which played rain sounds so to cover noises outside. It is still a struggle. I am not bothered by natural sounds as wind or rain or coyotes, only man made sounds, including dogs that I don't see as nature because they are part of people's making. I get enraged and feel threatened when people are loud. Or causing sounds that are loud.

atina
atina
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:36 am

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post