Our partner

Irrational fear of loosing a parent...

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Irrational fear of loosing a parent...

Postby smartass » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 pm

A friend of mine lost her mother suddenly beginning of 2014, I was the first person she called. Even though I've only met her mother few times, it affected me as if it were my own loss and created in me an irrational fear of loosing my own mom. As a kid I was separated from my mom for few years due to custody issues , so it kinda feels like I've lived that loss once and now I have a terrible fear of loosing my mom again. I'm in my 30's, and my mom is big part of my life, it feels like she's the only person I have.
How to deal with this fear ?
smartass
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Irrational fear of loosing a parent...

Postby smartass » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:48 am

come on, no one?!
smartass
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 am

Re: Irrational fear of loosing a parent...

Postby Im-pure » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:04 am

Hi im sorry you never got a reply, it sounds like your friend's personal loss triggered some unresolved feelings in you...i think this has to do with controlling the circumstances, and controlling things that we have no control upon...regardless how painful it is, death is a part of life that happens everyday, to anyone...but i think we can learn how to accept we cant control when this happens, if at all...

Do you have any hobbies or things that you like to do? You may find it helpful to expand your social circle by pursuing things you love, so that you can meet more people. Like that, maybe you will not feel your mom is the only person you have in your life...what do you think?
Im-pure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post