Our partner

can't look at satellite images of oceans/seas

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

can't look at satellite images of oceans/seas

Postby Maru » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:52 pm

I don't have a fear of seas when I'm in it. I can get on boats and ships to travel over seas and oceans but I cannot stand to look at satellite images of entire oceans without a shudder running through me.

I was browsing through Google Earth and "travelling" from North America to Asia. Once Google Earth stopped panning and my monitor screen was filled with this satellite image of a deep deep deep blue ocean, I just had to close that Google window. I remembered that feeling because back when I was a kid, I had that same feeling when I looked at satellite images of oceans in those huge (the size of a table) atlases. Whenever I saw images like those, I'm overcome by a feeling of helplessness, as if the whole room I'm in becomes that deep deep deep blue ocean and I'm right in the middle of it and it's going to engulf me. It's kind of funny because when I later think about it, I seem to view those images as the equivalent of a black hole.
Maru
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: can't look at satellite images of oceans/seas

Postby brookpluse » Wed May 15, 2013 11:20 pm

I always get the same feeling when looking at a satellite photo, but it's not limited to oceans. I get the same feeling when looking at a city, but I do think it's worse when there is water as well. The feeling is similar when I look at a photograph of the earth taken from space, like one from the hubble or a satellite. So glad I'm not the only one!
brookpluse
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:45 am

Re: can't look at satellite images of oceans/seas

Postby Mustang Jane » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:24 am

I have the same issue! It's so irrational, because how would a map with an ocean on it, hurt you?! I mean, there are phobias that make sense. Fear of insects, sharp objects etc. Is there even a name for this? Happy mental health, y'all :lol:
Mustang Jane
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:45 am

Return to Specific Phobias