Our partner

I realise this sounds stupid....

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: I realise this sounds stupid....

Postby rusticblonde » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 am

Hi there,

Certainly it seems as if there is a fear there of a dog barking. I would work with you in establishing the root cause of the issue. Stemming from an incident and establishing your response. Then a recode of this response.

It certainly isnt stupid :)
rusticblonde
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby rontram » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 pm

Hi rusticblonde, Thank you for your post. My fear is not just of barking dogs. It's more of the uncontrollable sound and fear of not knowing when it will stop. Someone playing loud music could trigger the same response. Could bring on the same response in me. I would welcome any ideas you might have. R
rontram
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:47 am

Postby haight78 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:47 am

I realize this thread is old, but I wanted to add that you are not alone. I have and am currently experiencing and dealing with the same reactions. It is literally debilitating for me. I have to find a space without the intrusive sound. This may include the use of ear plugs and head phones. I use a CD of a waterfall with ear buds if I go out. Right now there is an excavator digging 100s of yards away from my home and has a beep beep when in reverse and this is driving me nuts. I do believe the problem stems from not knowing when the intrusive noise will indeed stop as one post suggested. We have been searching for a new home away from barking dogs, crowing roosters, excavators, music, screaming kids, on and on for years now without success. Now I want to address my problem. I found this site and with that at least I found few folks with the same issue I have. Unfortunately for us, as they say, it is a tough row to hoe. There have been a few informative and helpful response here, but from my perspective any additional input would be appreciated. By the way you don't sound stupid, but rather you sound to me like you are in distress. Or wits end.
haight78
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby astro47 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:47 am

I don't know if this thread is still alive, but I have the fear of dogs barking in spades, especially if it's a neighbor and I fear I'll have to be subjected to it constantly. Recently a neighbor's dog started barking for a while, and I went over to complain. She wasn't cooperative or understanding, so my fear intensified, and now I'm often scared just getting out of my car for fear I'll hear the barking. 10 years ago I developed a serious anxiety disorder that I needed medications for; again it was an unsympathetic neighbor who resented my complaint and wrote me an angry note telling me to stop complaining, even though I had only complained once; the other time I was just thanking her for responding. After that note my anxiety intensified. Anyone ever have an experience like this?
astro47
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Previous

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post