Our partner

Not afraid of needles but panic anyways

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Not afraid of needles but panic anyways

Postby Dumerili » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I seem to have an almost unconscious phobia of needles. I'm not actually afraid of them, I can think about them and they don't really bother me even if I'm thinking about something like the fact that I have to get my blood drawn soon. I can even give shots to others. I have to do it all the time when I'm working with my friends goats and horses, I've even done it with one of my snakes. Despite all of that needles can still give me panic attacks, if I see a picture or a video of somone having a needle put in them or if I have to get a shot I panic. It's been so bad that I've nearly passed out during blood draws. So does that even qualify as a phobia? It's always seemed weird to me but the one time I spoke to someone about it I was told that I was probably just having a mood episode and the panic attacks would go away when my mood was fine and of course they didn't.
Dx: Bipolar II w/ psychosis, panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, Borderline personality traits

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."
Dumerili
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Not afraid of needles but panic anyways

Postby enoughisenough23 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I can sort of relate to your post. I am an adult male who has panic attacks while at ANY doctors office. I believe it started about a year after my wife (30 yr.) passed away. Now every time I go to the doctors, for any reason, my blood pressure and heart rate sky rockets.

On one occasion while getting a yearly physical for work they had to stop the exam because my heart rate jumped so high they suggested contacting an ambulance. I have read a plethora of info on the matter but nothing seems to help. I wish I could give you better advice.
enoughisenough23
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 am

Postby hj7654 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 am

The dreaded White Coat Hypertension. I too suffer this God awful affliction. Has been an issue with me since early childhood. Eight, nine, ten years old maybe. I have no idea why it started. I have gone stretches of 7, 8 years maybe without seeing a Dr. or seeing anyone that would want to take my blood pressure. I'm not sure if others are like this, but even if I knew no one was going to take my BP, I still get just as nervous over having my pulse taken or if they are going to listen to my heart. It's bizarre and it makes me crazy. My HR was 160 bpm in the ER one time. 160. Just sitting. It does not have to be a Dr., they don't have to wear a white coat, it doesn't even have to be in a medical setting. If anyone wants to check my BP, I completely freak out. It is such a pain in the a$$.
Now that I'm aging a bit. Yes, I know, happens to the best of us. As we get older, we have more reasons to see a physician. I'll say that I think my affliction has gotten a little better over the years. While still there by any and all accounts, it's not quiet as severe at least. By no means, normal, or even close to normal, but my HR isn't 160 either. It used to embarrass me to death...Which, I mean, what the hell gives with that even? Heavens! Everything about this "Syndrome" is weird. I have no trouble now telling someone, "Look, I've got this WC thing and it's gonna be up there. My heart is beating pretty quick as well." Just saying the words and telling the examiner whats what I think brings pressure and HR down several notches.
OK, sorry. Didn't mean to hijack. This is more than I've ever spoken about this in one sitting I bet. Words are just rolling out. Feels good to just dump all this weird, crazy, phobia, fetish, freak show.
With that, I'll make my departure. Thanks for the venue to spill my guts. Theres lots more but I'll leave it at that. Feel free to drop me a note if you want to discuss more.
Oh..One more thing? Now, it seems everyone has a damn fetish for getting our numbers. Don't know if the Feds are behind it or what. Dentist, Eye Doctor, next you know, my barber gonna whip out the cuff and wanna know my numbers. I'll just stay home I suppose. They're not helping us White Coaters. I love having my teeth cleaned every six months. I used to anyway. I'll not be going there either if my cute little hygienist is going to attack me with the pressure cuff. That's too much stress to pay that much money for freshly cleaned teeth. Same goes for my eye doctor. Theyre all out to get us. Root us out. OK. Done. Thanks for the platform.
hj7654
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 am

Postby Wally58 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:39 am

As a child, I freaked out at the doctor's office when I was about to get a needle in my bottom. I didn't mind it in the arm like the older kids and adults.
It was explained to me that some shots had to be given into a large muscle mass and my arm was too small.
I was very protective of my bottom while growing up. Mom went overboard with spanking rage sometimes and I got a real phobia about exposing it to anyone.
I was inpatient for alcohol rehab in my 20's and they gave us massive daily vitamin B shots in the buttocks because most of us came in off the street in pretty bad shape, malnourished and depleted.
The area of the shot actually bruised and caused stiffness and limping. Some patients left the rehab because of the shots.
I felt badly because some of these people desperately needed alcohol/drug treatment and a chance at recovery. Some might not get to see a second chance. It was the hospital's Chemical Dependency department's rule. The nurses did it out of duty.
Needles do have a certain fascination for me. I am ashamed if the thought of them gives me a sense of arousal, but they shouldn't be horrifying either.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post