Our partner

Marijuana Anxiety

Social Phobia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Marijuana Anxiety

Postby The_Dude » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Hello everyone. It's great to see everyone talking about this subject because it is something that I have suffered from as well. I didn't start smoking until I was about 18-19. Prior to that I was always a shy kid but I was okay socially once I got to know people however, I always had problems with public speaking. (i.e. talking in front of the class room during a presentation). I had gone through a nasty break up after my first year of college and soon after began smoking pot. For awhile I was having the time of my life doing it. My two buddies and I would smoke every single night after work during the summer and it was great. Somewhere along the way though I started to get really bad social anxiety. At school I was too afraid to talk to anyone or make any friends. I constantly thought about how I looked and talked and what people thought of me. Forget about even talking to a girl. I had such low self esteem about myself that I thought any girl would just reject me on the spot and think I was ugly or whatever. This is a total 180 because in high school I talked to plenty of girls and never had problems besides the usual nervous feeling before talking to a girl you like. It got to the point where I was too afraid to go to class. I was really pathetic. I tried quitting a number of times but that is easier said than done, especially when all your friends are burning. Each time I quit I kind of weened myself off a certain paraphernalia. When I first started smoking I was always doing bong hits every single night. At first my body took it just fine. But over time I started to get more and more bad highs to the point where I felt like puking. Eventually I just started using bowls and blunts. I still smoked regularly though and I still had the social anxiety issue. Many times I would tell myself "its not the weed you just gotta work your confidence up and you'll be back to your old self in no time" I would be just a total shut out and not hang with anyone (besides stoner buddies) and never go out. I would just sit home and get baked and play video games or watch movies. Well this past summer (I'm now 22) it got really bad as from June through August I would smoke regularly maybe two to three times a day. I didn't even feel like a person at the time and didn't feel like I knew who I was. I didn't care about anything and that is not like me. Well I decided to quit again and it was so #######5 cause I got really bad withdrawl symptoms. (Couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, constant headaches) Of course eventually I began smoking again but this time I was only using my one hitter. The highs were less intense but it was all I needed and I began to feel more myself and began to socialize more at school. Recently my Grandfather passed away and it kind of opened my eyes. He's the first person close to me to pass away and I found it incredibly stupid and selfish to be worried about how I looked in social situations when I was losing someone very meaningful to my life. I decided to make a chance and I haven't smoked in a couple of weeks now and I feel poised and confident. I am not being so awkward during conversations. I can speak in front of the class with no issues. I have been talking to some girls not with no problem and some of them are in to me. My self-confidence and self-respect is back and I haven't felt this good in years.

The point is that everyone's body reacts differently to smoking. Some people are functioning pot heads. They can smoke, go out, take care of their business, and talk to people normally. Unfortunately for me and some of the people on here we are not these type of people. So if you are suffering from anxiety the best advice I can give you is to taper off. Stopping right away will not help, your craving for it will be very strong as well as the withdrawls and it'll be hard to stop. Try using paraphernalia that give less of an intense high and ween yourself off of pot. I heard using brownies to taper off works effectively too. Trust me it's better to be high on life all the time than be high on pot all the time and be super paranoid. Good luck to all you guys. It's great to have a bunch of people to relate too. Peace.
The_Dude
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Lastdayz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 am

Well , i'm suprised that i found there's so many people around the world with a problem like mine... I began to smoke weed when i was at the age of 15 ( back then i wasn't having anxiety problems ) ... However after 2 or 3 years non-stop smoking at the age of 17 i started to feel depressed and also find very diffucult to have a normal conversation with anyone from my class ( except my best friends ) . Now i'm almost 19 years old and i've quit weed about 2 weeks ago , and my question is how long will take to this evill stuff gets out of my system and would i start feeling better if that happen..And i also want to ask about any other solutions like some pills or any alternative threatment....
Lastdayz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Postby PinchOfSanity » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 am

Marijuana certainly can alter brain chemistry and cause effects that can simply make your life a downfall of mental disturbance and physiological dependency.. yeah yeah blah blah we all know that $#%^.

I am not here to become the advocate of saying mary-jane (marijana) is wrong, but I have witnessed people having THC-induced psychosis, and no, it wasn't brief.. it was an on-going issue for him and he had prolonged patterns of persecutory and superiority delusions. I've witnessed people smoking ordinary Indica, then progressing into heroin-laced weed and trying new strains (which is no where near as bad as lacing, as it is lethal and unpredictable).

Mary-jane isn't always the way to go, understandingly grasping the use of it in adolescence is tangibly axiomatic since, teens will be teens.. but it will always has its down side, something across the lines of 20% of people who will use it will experience panic and feel as if their "reality" is turning against them.

My intuition feels as if mary-jane has certainly gotten to you.

So i stopped. i would take breaks alot then smoke again and more then likely feel the same #######5 way.
right now im on a good 3 month break.

Delightful, let's keep that break protracted for a long time, so you can make your way to a better mental recovery, right?

is this just straight up Social anxiety?

There may be traits of SAD hidden in here due to drug-use.

Is that what its labeled as for some of you?

If it's labelled anything and heavily correlated with drugs or the drugs seemed to do instigate predisposition, you can call it -drug-induced- *label here*.. does the label matter?

does this type of thing happen?

What things? Feeling of nervousness and irritability/general discomfort? Of course it does and the problem is, you don't know if marijuana is causing it to become worse. You are making things worse if it is the root-cause.

Whatever it is, is their anyway to get rid of the feeling?

Sure, discontinuing for a start and receiving mental treatment is a start..
Discontinuing/withdrawal can be sketchy though.. you may have a general decrease in mood, appetite, sleep and become irritated, not to mention your anxiety and SAD can become worse.

Stay cool.
-Pinchy
So, where is your head at after all?
PinchOfSanity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:58 am

Postby glitchy1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 pm

in social situations the moment may feel more intense then usual. the same way food might have a more intense flavor. i found that a single beer will delute the senses again leaving you to freely smoke and socialize
glitchy1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby kalley1618 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:05 pm

i definitely hear you.
i think if you have social anxiety, marijuana only brings that out even more.
so i've completely stopped smoking weed.
i tried only taking one hit, taking many huge hits, nothing makes a difference :cry:
=^-.-^=
kalley1618
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby The Beholder » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 pm

basically, smoking pot is bad for you. it can do a lot of permanent damage to you, especially if you're under 25. just generally stay away from it.
nothing justifies doing something sexually to someone that they did not invite. this should not need saying, but apparently people forget.
The Beholder
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby seekingtheanswers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm

This is such a relief to read. Well i dont know if id call it a relief, but i am going through the EXACT same thing. :( i am literally losing friends because of it. Ive been smoking weed for three years and it has always been awesome, then not until this year (grade 11) i cant even hangout with my friends unless we smoke weed. None of them blaze as much as i do, so its deffinitely becoming a problem for me. I have the motivation to make things like how they used to be. When i could laugh mindlessly. I dont even know if that makes sense. But before i used to be known as sarah the funny one. Now, i cant even laugh at anything, cause im so mindful of everything i do. I really dont know how to explain it but i know EXACTLY what you mean. And im having a really hard time getting through it, i dont know what to do :(
seekingtheanswers
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby cmangman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:12 am

Hi. I've just stumbled upon this website/ thread and other's stories on here are definitely the closest to what I have gone/ am going through that I've found anywhere on the internet. I felt compelled to post as well as I have gone through similar things to people here, but seem to have a slight twist with the way I feel and was wondering if anyone could relate.

I used to smoke weed a fair amount from the age of 16ish to 20ish. I'm now 21 and haven't smoked for about a year and a half, bar the odd toke here and there usually when I'm very drunk. I stopped because I became extremely paranoid and couldn't think straight/ communicate properly (including with friends and family) etc. I didn't enjoy the effect it was having on me any more so I stopped. However, when I stopped I kind of made a pact with myself that one day I would smoke again and enjoy it/ not let it get in the way of my life. I like the idea of smoking weed to relax and enjoy life, but at the time I wasn't in a good place in terms of anxiety and fear, probably because of a lot of **** that happened in my life.

As I say I still don't smoke it, but I'm still fearful and anxious and can't be myself around anyone, which is frustrating. The anxiety clearly comes from within a person and the weed seems to kick it into action/ amplify it. Giving time to clear your head definitely helps, but at the end of the day it is you who has to get your head on straight whatever the method you choose. I'm personally trying to make decisions in my life to try and get to a point where I want to be. When I have sorted myself out and am doing something I want to do for my own reasons, I think only then can I truly work on my relationships. This is also frustrating because I imagine people thinking all sorts of things about me because I don't see them that often, when I'm trying to get to a point where I don't feel insecure/ anxious/ self-conscious etc. so that I CAN see them and enjoy their company/ vice versa.

Anyway, I've gone on a tangent didn't mean to but it all just came out! The point I set out to make is that I have stopped smoking weed, but would absolutely love to one day be able to smoke when I wanted/ with who I wanted and not worry about anything but just be happy to be alive. I think if you are happy/ content, and you smoke in moderation, it will only enhance your mood. I think it is possible just may take some time. Does anyone else have a similar viewpoint or do people tend to think once you've quit it's best to leave it alone. Would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you for reading this.
cmangman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SilentRix » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow, this is far the most useful topic around about this problem. I read all those five pages and I'm glad that I'm not the only one... So I just try and open myself to you, whoever is reading.
I am currently 19 years old college student who suffers from low self-esteem/confidence and I definitely have some anxiety and social problems. I have been smoking marijuana for the past 2-3 years. I consider myself as a funny and to be honest socially active guy but I believe that MJ has driven away that 'spark' in me. I was in a 10th grade in high school when I get to closer with weed. At that time I freaking enjoyed it. Everything seemed so beautiful and great. I attended school properly and my grades were normal. Therefore I didn't consider it as a problem. Also I remember that I used to smoke only on weekends or at specific occasions. But it all got serious when the summer started, where there weren't any responsibilities or duties. We did get high every day, then played some basketball or just laid down on a beach. Most of the time I am hanging out with my stoner buddies but that dosen't mean that I haven't got enough friends, some just don't smoke and therefore don't hang out so often. It all hit me at a senior year, when I realized that I'm having hard time focusing on school or homework, although my grades didn't dramatically suffer. I just started to stay out late, smoking with my buddies but I am conscientious person, who would worry about school and other important stuff, which still kept me doing my work. I didn't go like: ''aah, what ever.''

Talking about the anxiety and low self-esteem is quite familiar to me. I have hard time talking to people, baked or sober, dosen't matter. Only thing is that when I'm fully blazed I start to get paranoid, I cannot start conversations or continue them. The thoughts in my head are like this: ''Is this right? Should I say this? Should I do this? What happens next? Is this silent moment awkward? What now?'' And etc.. All my smoker buddies are quite social, they have friends out of our circle, then can easily interact with other people at parties and so on. I'm just having hard time to talk and socialize. Girls are way out of my league. I just cannot think of something to come up with.

But now I've been doing marijuana a lot less. As of September I have only smoked weed on weekends. But that dosen't mean that my social problems are gone. No, they still exist. I just hope that if I get rid of that abuse then it would somehow fix. Also after reading all those motivating posts I have decided that after this weekend I'm taking serious and longer break. I need to get my head clear, get to know more people and focus on school.

Also I would like to end my story with a sad but true sentence about me: I don't talk to people, because I don't know them and I don't know people, because I don't talk to them.

Peace.
SilentRix
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SilentRix » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Sorry for double posting but I memorized something what problem I also had...
Last summer when I did smoke daily with my friends I had serious paranoid attacks, if you can call it that. Friends with whom I am pretty close to now and really consider them my best buddies often didn't pick up my calls and didn't reply to messages. I was always a morning person, waking up early in the morning and I knew that at noon, when my friends wake up then they are going to get sum stuff. I didn't want to left behind or left without it so basically yeah maybe I was too into it, starting a conversations on Facebook like 'when's the time' and so on... I wasn't spamming, no. I know that this $#%^ is not cool. So long story short... When I saw them I kinda felt that I wasn't fitting in. My mind went everytime like this: ''###$, they don't want me here... I'm too keen on it'' and so on... Some serious paranoid. And of course because of that I almost never talked, went silent. I was scared of their reactions and embarassment.

But now I've realized that it was only marijuana... This made me so paranoid about everything.
SilentRix
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

PreviousNext

Return to Social Phobia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post