Our partner

Marijuana Anxiety

Social Phobia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Marijuana Anxiety

Postby bearcats02 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:16 am

i cant even describe how relieved i was to read everyones postings. I am in the EXACT same boat as everyone here. I was beginning to think that i might be the only one with this problem. ill share you the details of my story but its been about a year and a half now that ive been this way. before i started my drug use back in 9th grade i had a tons of friends and girls wernt a problem either, but senior year i started to get very self conscious around everyone about what to say, even the people who ive grown up with. im now a freshmen in college and instead of going out and meeting people i have narrowed my freinds down to the 3 people i room with and a few others that i see all the time. I never know what to say to people i dont know, but i really want to and it makes me depressed/selfconcious, and that only makes things worse for me. at times i have moments of clearity where im my old self agian, but its only lasts untill i notice that i am very in the moment and happy, then it goes back to thinking too much. anyways, i cant tell you guys how awesome it is to see this, i finally know that there is other people who are in the same boat. please send me a message or re-post if you found a way to move on.
bearcats02
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby NeoSoul » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 am

As with everyone else in this thread I am so relieved that I am not the only who is suffering from this problem, and I only made an account to share my experience with all of you and hope that it atleast makes you realize you aren't alone, which has helped me a lot just reading this thread. I started smoking when I was around 14 and at the time it seemed to make me a very sociable person and I had many friends whom I partied with and smoked with usually on a daily basis and this continued through high school. Then once I graduated I started to keep to myself mostly all the time and just smoke constantly, to the point where I didn't really want anyone coming around because I thought that they just wanted to smoke my pot, instead of actually being my friend. I also started college and began working a retail job after a few years once I got bored with just setting in my room and smoking pot/playing guitar everyday. This started out not so bad and I continued to smoke but my anxiety and paranoia gradually began to take over my life, to the point where I would not go out in public or even wanted to be around anyone when I was the least bit high, it also started to affect me when I was sober and I couldn't speak out in class when the teacher would ask me a question or talk to people when they came in my store, I would just shy away from it. This continually got worse until I had to quit my job, and couldn't be social with anyone at all even when I was sober, nor could I talk on the phone with anyone. I was also in a relationship for nearly 4 years until she finally gave up on me and knew that I was gradually getting worse and she didn't want to be part of it anymore, I blamed her for a long time for leaving me, but I've finally came to terms with it and totally respect her decision as I would have done the same in the situation. My anxiety obviously got worse and I kept smoking more and more after the relationship ended and I had around 2 close friends that I would smoke with but eventually my anxiety and paranoia of what to say pretty much kept me away from them as much as possible so I could be by myself and get high without having any anxiety. Although I finally realized what I was doing to myself, it's almost like I had a moment of clarity in early spring of this year, and I gave up smoking marijuana and smoking cigarettes after an 11 year addiction to both, now I exercise daily and the natural high from it helps me not miss smoking as much, but now I don't have any friends or any social life at all because my old friends don't want to be around me because I don't get high anymore. Sadly it's been 4 months and I still have a lot of the same symptoms of not being able to talk to people and ignore nearly all the phone calls that I receive unless I know exactly who is calling and what they want, I even have trouble socially networking with people and chatting online, it's like I never can start or continue a conversation, I also have a lot of trouble changing topics or switching what I'm concentrating on. I seem to have better days than others, but I still suffer from the same exact symptoms I did when I was smoking and I really hope that these subside after awhile so I can atleast attempt to be a sociable person and speak my mind when I need to in certain social situations, this is not how I wanted my life to turn out and I regret smoking every single day that I wake up and realize that my life may never change no matter what. I really hope the best to all of you and I hate that anyone is suffering from the same thing I am but it is still comforting to know that I am not alone. If anyone would like to discuss their situation or would have any advice on how to help I would definitely appreciate it. I never post on any message board but I just hoped my story could help some of you relate and let you know you're not alone.
NeoSoul
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:00 am

Postby mountainsongs » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 am

wow, im simply amazed by how many people are in this same boat...
i never really knew what was wrong until just about now, its really tired me out.
i had a lot of friends in the beginning of high school, until i hit junior year that's when these social anxieties hit me and have really grounded me from being who i was in the younger years of high school. i don't ever remember being afraid of talking to people or meeting someone new, as far as i knew..i enjoyed it.
i didn't have a good child hood either, i was sexually abused, however i mostly overcame that on my own without much help, i always thought that had to do with something of my social issues, im sure it did in the past when i was in my healing but im far past that.
now its my social phobia that really drags me on the bottom of the social stream. especially when i smoke pot, i started around 9th grade, it would be occasional never really used heavily until recent years, i have about 3 close friends. not to many outside of that small hand circle, but then again, ive moved all the way from AZ up to AK. now im back in CA, so its been hard to attach to alot of people cause of my constant moves when i was younger and one of them by self choice.
i have a decent sized fear of going out to restaurants with even my own family, friends, even grocery stores or even a simple walk to the food mart down the street...cause of the fear of people staring and harshly judging me. i never knew until today that social phobia can cause depression and low self esteem which i have every so often, ive been working on getting rid of the negative feelings that come with it, by simple meditation every night and keeping my thoughts a little more away from all the negative things and looking to optimism a bit more. which is helping with my emotions but not my social problems..
i just recently started seeing a psychiatrist, im now beginning to wonder if it was a mistake. because my sexual abuse really doesn't bother me that much anymore. i went because my parents were concerned, i moved away to Alaska on my own with a good friend of mine and made it for about a year and a half. i just recently arrived back in California during May, for my 3rd time or so..i grew up in surrounding areas. i came back to CA, because i quit my job in AK i simply "didn't care" about whether or not i worked. plus there would be days that my social phobia would be so bad i didn't want to even step foot outside of the house. i was already working night shift to help with my motivation, knowing that i wouldn't have to deal with many people.
so now im back home, and i wont step foot outside unless its my own backyard..for a week at a time until one of the close friends i have here calls to come get me..this is where im a little bewildered, when im with friends i am self conscious quite often even more when i smoke a big blunt with them and im sitting here just listening to everyone talk, i wont have much to say and at the least i wont know what to say. to many things going through my head on how my own friends are JUDGING ME. its upsetting because a couple of these friends are like brothers to me..Ive known them for years. when im sober im typically fine.
even when we go out in public i wont mind, because im with friends but i wont do it if im high. or if i smoked that day at all.
the thing is with weed, it helps me sleep, it makes me more relaxed when im alone, and i enjoy the high, because it helps with your typical boredom or depression, at least with me. so its gonna be hard to give up if thats whats causing all these faults for me. and the few i know smoke really heavily.
BUT, on days even when im sober, but yet alone i get self conscious when im by myself walking down the street to go grab a simple drink..the worst of all is going to a kickback and not knowing the rest of the bunch, only the people i came with. i wont say a single word....i normally sit and listen i dont ever know what to say even though i dont like it ill sit with the crowd so im blatantly not being the odd one out not facing the crowd. i would normally smoke excessive cigarettes just to get away for a few moments but i have quit and havint been to a hang out since. just keeping to the people i know.
i want to overcome this, i really do..im sick of being housebound. i plan to move again next year alone this time, and by then i want to make sure im gonna have the will and the right skills to meet people in my new upcoming areas of wherever i decide to move. because i know i have a drive, i want to meet people, have a girlfriend again, and just KNOW PEOPLE. im sick of being the odd silent one. i even have a nickname for how silent i am around new persons..its depressing ha.
any advice on what i should do, or even from personal experience on what helped YOU, i will most certainly listen!
im glad i found this post. i really am, because i read through quite a few posts on this one and i can definitely relate almost head on. i should add, some days i feel completely fine...like nothing is going to effect me. however it doesint last..i will go out in public with nothing over my head not even a slight worry...
its very seldom but i will even strike a conversation with a random person if they come to me first.
like i said it doesint last long AT ALL.
mountainsongs
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:00 pm

Postby jaijai » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:24 pm

I've had a lot of social anxiety over the years (I'm in early thirties now) and I believe it's from the weed. Reading comments, if I can offer some advice I've discovered from various sources that has really helped me .....
1. Stop smoking it now!!-eat healthily, sleep well and keep a basic routine and clean up.
2. Take up something like boxing or judo that can both empower you (with new, or the 'old you' confidence) and workout your heart/lungs. The more regular exercise the better as it'll burn off adrenalin/stress. (The key here is a Seritonin release, the 'feel good' body made chemical).
3. Approach interactions with others in social situations with an attitude of ''what can I give' to this person to have them feel good about themselves' or ''what can I give' to this situation'-rather than focusing on what you can get from them/the situation to 'fix' your anxiety/low self esteem (ie. seeking approval from others).
*The key principle to remember is that everyone just wants to feel good. In turn, you're the one who ends up feeling good as the focus is off yourself for a change, and you can feel satisfied you made some-one laugh/smile/feel good. This maybe just a compliment/encouragement or a hand with something etc.
4. Take Bruce Lee's philosophy of 'peel back the layers of yourself to expose the real you-do not add anything further to yourself-you are already complete underneath all the layers of mind waffle'. Quieten the mind/critical inner voice in ways that work for you, be it playing guitar, bushwalking or playing with your dog.

Good luck guys
Last edited by jaijai on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaijai
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Postby trav1983 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:26 am

i smoke alot and ppl r tellin me that it could be makin me worse then i am im not really sure it seems to help with my anxiety but it also makes me very paranoid is that normal?
trav1983
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby jaijai » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:39 pm

trav1983 wrote:i smoke alot and ppl r tellin me that it could be makin me worse then i am im not really sure it seems to help with my anxiety but it also makes me very paranoid is that normal?

I've seen many people go okay w/ it, then down the track get some level of paranoia and anxiety to different extremes. If you're feeling anything negative I'd give it a way-smoking weed is the only regret I've ever had.
jaijai
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Postby EYPICSYL » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Good advice Jaijai
Im around 30 now and started smoking pot about 3 or 4 years ago.
I had been suffering with depression which was caused by my diet at that time and the weed helped me forget about my worries kind of like it felt when taking meds for depression anxiety except i was just more chilled out and relaxed.
I did notice a small bit of paranoia but only slight and it hasnt gotten worse and im smoking more than when i started.
I do admit it can be addictive to feel good.
My personal advice after a bit of research into this topic is this.
If you are under 21 my advice is to avoid smoking weed on a regular basis or at all if possible.If your over 21 and thinking of starting....dont unless you are happy within yourself and have everything else you need in life.(chances are things will be harder to get done if your smoking regular).
The reason why i say 21 is because up till that time especially up to 17 or so i have learned that the brain is still developing.
Also i read at around age 21 everyones blood has completely changed and this can lead to personality changes in people loss of alergies asthma etc.Lots of changes and i believe myself that until thos changes happen you should steer clear of any drugs ,like weed,sugar,tobacco etc
If the brain is still developing and you throw alot of cbd in there its going to cause issues with the maturing of your brain.
CBD is in some strains more than others and i think not in others again.
Correct me if im wrong please,But as far as i know CBD is mostly in indica strains and causes the more heavy couchlock effect.
So if your reading this and are somehting like 18 or below do yourself a favour and if you cant stop then at least cut it down and use sativas.
Too much skunk which is a stinky indica popular in the uk has caused alot of mental issues paranoia being a mild symptom to start off with.Psychosis and general mental instability is possible if you are doing it from young enough for long enough.You will be a brain dead lump of meat!
Weed can be a nice aid to a stressful life as long as you are relaxed about your usage and dont over do it as an adult.
I have suffered not ill effects from taking weed apart from a little paranoia which does not effect me anymore.
I believe my mixing it with tobacco is doing serious damage to my health and causing my blood to be more acidic which invites illness.
I wish you guys all the best with cutting down.And if you are taking it for depression which i found did help use a sativa.
Sativa is generally safer and easier on the mind as you are not zombiefied with a good sative more like high instead of stoned.
Depressed,confused,anxious? Maybe a solution is here --> http://www.psychforums.com/depression/topic53818.html
EYPICSYL
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby johnysmith0009 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:21 pm

It is very good way to share our ideas about the anguish of marijuana. It is very useful for our knowledge. In my opinion, I think understandibly tempting for some people to overcome the urge to smoke marijuana or drink alcohol.
johnysmith0009
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby cienads » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:47 am

I too have the same issue as everyone else, but am not surprised to see that so many people have shared similar experiences. I sometimes note that people I have smoked with experience weed social anxiety, even if in very small amounts. I think it all depends on whether or not we already have some social anxiety existent. It seems to me that it perpetuates people's anxiety, but does not cause it.

I'm 25 and started smoking 10 years ago. Just as everyone said on the forum it was a socially enjoyable habit for me up until I was about 19. I was in college and started to notice that I was going to parties and would hang out on the side with a couple friends that I knew well, afraid to talk to and meet other people. I remember I had my first mini panic attack in the same type of setting when I was high.

Since then, not smoking weed hasn't been that difficult for me, because I don't desire to be high in social situations that might be intense for me. I know that it's not the healthy approach but my mind doesn't seem to fire anxious thoughts as much if I am drinking alcohol too. I've had even more intensified feelings of anxiety on mushrooms and acid. It's as if I don't want to say anything because it doesn't need to be said (just filler gibberish with no meaning). When I speak I feel like I'm listening to myself talk and feel very self-conscience. It puts me in a depressed mood as I seem to gain a lot of my satisfaction out of social interactions. I think it has something to do with the psychedelic properties of these drugs.

Now that I don't smoke weed often, I know that I can be the same socially anxious person that I am when I am high. The better part is that I can keep myself from getting pulled into the downward spiral of the anxiety. My difficulty with this anxiety has also increased in the recent years as I have been living in foreign countries and I can share that things can get really awkward when you are trying to learn another language and also stand out in your surroundings. A lot of times I get really self-conscience about how I speak the language and my ability to express myself (even without weed involved). When I smoke this obviously becomes intensified, although the miscommunication is something that I can laugh about afterwards.

I got some questions for everyone:

do you think that the mental development around the late teen years has something to do with why people seem to get this social anxiety at around the same age?

do you think that smoking weed (or using psychedelics) really cause permanent changes in thought patterns and potential the intensity of your social anxiety?
cienads
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby salted lipstick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:03 am

Hello cienads and welcome to the forum. I think maybe you should create a new thread asking these questions as this thread is very old and so people might not be around to see your reply. I'm glad you found that other people can relate to your experiences, even if they may have left the forum by now. So please feel free to create a new thread asking your questions. :D I hope you find it helpful to be here.
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social Phobia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post