Our partner

How did you quit smoking?

Smoking addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How did you quit smoking?

Postby AnotherMisanthrope » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:07 pm

I have been smoking for a year now ( still a newbie ) but I would like to quit this habit.
I tried few times to quit without success. I actually haven't passed a day without smoking.
I am aware of the dangers and the health issues tobacco can cause. I think that with all the informations we have nowadays, it's impossible to ignore it. The only thing is, i don't give a ###$.
I always tell myself I am still young and that I can always stop smoking later.

So the main reason I want to stop, it's because it's expensive. I moved somewhere else and where I live the cheapest pack of cigarettes you can have is 15$. And for a small one. So i spend 15$ per day for this crap. I would love to put my money somewhere else, but everytime I smoke my last cigarette, i'm crying inside and I tell my self :"this can't be the last one" and go to the store buy another pack.
And when I buy a pack,i'm like :" ok, that's the last pack i'm buying and after no more cigarettes!". So it's always the same vicious circle.

So : what did you do stop smoking that ACTUALLY WORKED ?
AnotherMisanthrope
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How did you quit smoking?

Postby Oliveira » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:07 am

Personally I switched to snus (chewing tobacco). It's not an ideal solution but my lungs stay clean and I don't have that cough. I'm trying to quit snus now though :P
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:09 am

Postby wanghuoyan88 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:26 pm

I started cigarette smoking in June 2014.

I started with 3-5 cigarettes a day, to a pack or more a day. Depending on where I am and whom I am with. I smoke more when I am out with friends who smoke.

I have tried to quit but it's not easy. So far, I have reduced my smoking to a maximum of 5 a day. My dad has been smoking for more than 30 years. He was a chain smoker, more than 2 packs a day. But in 2012, due to a bad smokers cough, he decided to quit. He hasn't smoked since.

There was nothing he did. It was just a will to stop.

I would want to quit once and for all too. But given the situation I am in, tackling more than one addiction. I find it hard to really make it happen. So what I did is to reduce my smoking to 3-5 cigarettes a day and hopefully one day, I can quit completely.
wanghuoyan88
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:09 am

Postby pencilsNcigarettes » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:08 am

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times." -Mark Twain

Seriously, though, I've been smoking for a few years but I have quit for a month or two at a time. One thing that worked really well for me was chewing tobacco instead. I hate the taste of it, it makes me feel nauseous and it's even made me puke a couple times. So, that was really easy to stop once it replaced smoking, and then I went a month or two clean with no sweat.
I also tried quitting when a girl I was in a relationship with wanted me to quit, but then we broke up and I didn't care about quitting for my own sake so yeah. Eating when you get a craving makes you fat, and self-harming just makes your body sore.
I'd recommend cutting down and/or trying chew. That's my plan for when I'm ready to quit again.
pencilsNcigarettes
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby fifinella52 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:16 pm

I haven't had a cigarrette for almost a month. I don't keep track of the day because then I'll start obsessing about it.

My husband and I both used to smoke together - then he had a mini stroke a little over a month ago and had to make some serious lifestyle changes.
I didn't want to stop smoking - and I still don't if I'm honest with myself - but I just can't do that to him. I feel like I would be cheating on him if I were to buy a pack.

The first few days, I just wanted a smoke really bad and had Tons of nervous energy. Then after that, I felt Really really down and depressed and slept a lot. Then I felt ok. But the "wanting" for a smoke is very, very slowly diminishing. I bought a cheap vape kit and some liquid with medium nicotine and ... It kindof helps. But most of the time it just makes me frustrated.

Really, the best thing I've found I can do is get irritated at the process of wanting a smoke and think to myself, "Well, I can't go back to smoking now, because then I'll have to live all this all over again."
Do not seek the answers which cannot be given you - because you wouldn't be able to live them. And that is the point, to live everything. ~ Rilke
fifinella52
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Postby exgambler46 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi,

For I quitted smoking 2 times before I was able to. Those 2 quitting attempts and my 3rd attempt were only weeks seperated (4-6). What made me really realize smoking is terrible is the first smoke I smoked after an attempt. It would make me so dizzy and nauseous for hours. So I really started to hate smoking. I quitted with some friends and with a bet. All my other friends smoke again but it's just a way of not touching or thinking about it.

Now after 11 months it really feels like I have never smoked. The first 3-4 months are the hardest after that its just a way of not taking a puff again or you are hooked probably !!

Good luck !!
exgambler46
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:09 am

Postby Echinacea » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:51 pm

For me i quit smoking 5 years ago, and its the best thing i ever did (i smoked for 35 years) i was a smoker of 40 ciggies a day (i lit 40ish) gamer then so i was wasting a lot but nevertheless i still paid for 2 packs a day.

What helped me stop was having a dilemma ..i had to chose "bills" or "ciggies" i was spending just under 10.00GBP on them a day so i knew i had a big decision to make, so i chose bills ofc.

what helped me was having an unopened packet on my fireplace (so i could see that i had them) so whenever i panicked i calmed myself down by looking over at them and taking a deep breath and the crave went away ..i continued to do this everytime i craved ..i even chased smoking people in the street so i could walk behind them so i could smell their smoke (bad i know that know) but at the time i needed to still "smell it" , this lasted a few weeks until i hated the smell of them ;)

Hope this helps someone in the future
its possible just stay strong and remind yourself "why you need to stop"
kinda like a positive affirmation
Echinacea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:09 am

Postby PerplexedMan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I entered into a diet at the same time that I stopped. The self-control needed for the diet is helping me stop smoking. Funny thing is I don't even feel the urge anymore. The idea of smoking sounds like something I don't need.
PerplexedMan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:09 am

Postby Wally58 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:52 pm

I only smoked when I drank, so I quit both together at the same time. I'm going on 27 years now.
I stopped buying cigarettes toward the end and would bum a smoke when I needed it. I think that my friends got so upset with me bumming smokes, that it helped me decide to quit for good.
Keeping your hands busy helps. I kept a pen or pencil between my fingers and if I wasn't looking, it felt like a cigarette.
Mints and cinnamon drops helped. Deep inhales and holding the air in helped.
I know that whenever I see cigarettes at the store, I think about buying a pack, but that is the first promise that I made to myself. I don't look back.
I've watched people die from emphysema. The worst way to die is trying to catch your breath while suffocating IMHO. I've watched old men picking through an ashtray for a butt while weeping. Will power is only part of the equation, there has to be a spiritual awakening of sorts. Something fundamental within us must change. An epiphany?
Like AA, there is a 12-step program for smokers (and any other addiction). Much good advice here. It is also done one day at a time. Best of luck to y'all. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Return to Smoking Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post