Our partner

Social smoking with asthma!?

Smoking addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Social smoking with asthma!?

Postby Crystal92 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:39 am

So I inadvertently got into smoking, basically on nights out with friends i smoked some cigarettes so I kind of got a taste for it. Now I can't drink without having a cigarette or two sometimes more.
I drink quite often too, maybe about 3 nights a week equalling to a total of maybe 6 cigarettes a week? My parents both smoke, my dad being a big smoker and my mum, same as me, smokes quite a few when she's drinking.

But I feel overwhelmed with guilt for this as I have asthma and have had since I was a child, which used to be pretty severe. Its not so bad these days though . My mum also has asthma but not as bad (even though she takes her inhaler more than I do) and neither of my parents know I smoke. I've joked about it on occasion and my mum gives me a lecture about it which is a little hypocritical I think.

I know you're thinking " just don't smoke then" but its not that simple. When I've had some drinks I crave it and it doesn't go away until I smoke and that first cigarette.. I just feel so relaxed. I can't cut out drinking completely because well its pretty much the only thing I enjoy these days, as sad as that is but I have anxiety and depression so don't have many things that bring me joy these days :(

I don't know what to do, I feel really guilty but I just enjoy smoking whilst having some drinks, is it really that terrible if I don't overdo it?

Please don't be mean.
Crystal92
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Social smoking with asthma!?

Postby ReturnofDaniel » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Here is my opinion..

As a smoker of 7 years at a pack a day, I can tell you that it starts off as cool and fun and a good way to talk to people you might otherwise be intimidated by. As you start to make it a habit, you start to crave it when you're not drinking and then it snowballs into an addiction.

I don't want to sound preachy but making the choice to smoke will change your WHOLE life. Every smoker who's been doing it for a while wants to quit. And if you become a smoker, it might take a couple years, but you will want to stop and you won't be able to.

Not to mention that asthma is the precursor for COPD. People with COPD suffocate slowly every day. It feels to them like torture just to breathe. The sad part is: humans (smokers and nonsmokers alike) all get COPD if they live long enough. The lungs degrade and don't repair themselves.

Every cigarette is doing you damage to your lungs. What that means is that you will get your COPD much earlier. Every cigarette you smoke brings you a day closer to gasping for air.

So please, be smart. Don't let your friends drag you into a LIFETIME OF PROBLEMS. They may be cool now, but once their consequences kick in they won't be.

Health is prime. Remember that.
ReturnofDaniel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:38 pm

Postby Armadillo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:41 pm

I have asthma too, and I smoke between 6 and 8 cigarettes per day. I don't feel guilty at all, because the pleasure of smoking always outweights possible consequences. :wink:
[I have also food allergy, so smoking is one of the few real pleasures in my life :mrgreen: ]

Don't worry about it and just enjoy your daily nicotine dose !

Ps. Proust had asthma and smoked opium :idea:
* open secret doors in my posts & find sth I like: play
* I am the beginning of eternity and the end of time and space. I am the beginning of every end and the end of every place... answer
*pic: Akhenaten
Armadillo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:38 am

Postby ReturnofDaniel » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Armadillo wrote:I have asthma too, and I smoke between 6 and 8 cigarettes per day. I don't feel guilty at all, because the pleasure of smoking always outweights possible consequences. :wink:
[I have also food allergy, so smoking is one of the few real pleasures in my life :mrgreen: ]

Don't worry about it and just enjoy your daily nicotine dose !

Ps. Proust had asthma and smoked opium :idea:

Don't take your advice from this guy. He's obviously young and doesn't know what he's talking about yet. Health is ALL you have. Believe me. Money means nothing if you haven't got your health.

Daniel
ReturnofDaniel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Armadillo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 am

ReturnofDaniel wrote: Don't take your advice from this guy.

Sorry, it's too late. ^^
[pssst, you know, crystal promised me something in PM, but it's a secret so...shh* ]
* I am the beginning of eternity and the end of time and space. I am the beginning of every end and the end of every place... answer
Armadillo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ReturnofDaniel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Ok then guys, go ahead and kill your lungs. When you get to the point where you are dying from your stupid choices, remember me.

Daniel
ReturnofDaniel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Armadillo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 pm

ReturnofDaniel wrote:remember me.

I will, Daniel, I will.
*trolling edited*
Last edited by Oliveira on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Obvious trolling removed
Armadillo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Smoking Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post