Our partner

Does Cutting Down Work?

Smoking addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Does Cutting Down Work?

Postby CityMouse » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

A nurse told me that the way to quit smoking is to gradually cut down. An ex-smoker told me that doesn't work, that you have to quit cold turkey.

What do you think?
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Does Cutting Down Work?

Postby Graveyard76 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 pm

They're both right. It depends on the individual. Cutting down will generally make you feel exactly the same as going cold turkey, but you'll still be feeding the addiction, and in my experience feeling a lot worse.

On the other hand, it could work wonders for you.

If the same methods of quitting worked for every individual, then there wouldn't be companies making fortunes out of all manner of cessation products like patches, gum etc.

You could though, try every product available, and get absolutely nowhere without the one vital ingredient: Determination to stop.
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another." - The 7th Doctor.

* * * TRIGGER WARNING * * *
Graveyard76
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby jilkens » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:36 pm

I cut down before quitting. It was gradual and I started to make rules for myself about when & where I could smoke. It was easier than when I would try to go cold turkey before cutting down.
Blame it on me, but know that I won't regret one iota.
jilkens
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby innerpeacelover » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm

i reckon a cigarette addiction is not such an easy thing to deal with..
ANY addiction is wrong if we exaggerate it,or have a struggle to get rid of it..
i wll never judge anyone about her/his addictions...i will if they get very harmfull towards themselves and to others...let me tell you all this about #######1...a cigarette addiction can be very intense and very difficult to get rid off..i will never tell anyone to quit smoking abruptly..it's not possible at all..reducing the amount is possible,but mostly an heavy addicted smoker will do her/his best to do so..but will easily relapse to what amount they smoked before..i was a heavy smoker in my teen years=the non filter type of #######1=over here we had brands like Johnson Blue,Green Michel,Gauloise,Belga,Bastos,Camel etc..i stopped smoking at age 19..funny enough it involved a bet for a crat of beer..we were funny dudes in my teen years..they asked me=if you can not smoke for 1 month..you'll get a crat of beer..it was only the fact that they could control that in the pub or disco..but i really dedicated my willpower to stop,because my Dad smoked more the 1 packet a day..he was coughing like a dog whole day and night(ah)my friends used to tease me..want a cig?at that moment the craving is mostly the worst..since then i NEVER smoked a #######1 anymore up till today..no..I am lying..I smoked a #######1 few years ago to tease my ex U.K girl friend..she was a heavy smoker..although she had COPD..she could never stop..patch,sticker,chewing gum etc..nothing helped..it's bloody hard to quit smoking if one is really addicted to it..it's perhaps unhealthy..but there are so many things which are unhealthy..I am from the generation sex,drugs and rock and roll..i do smoke weed occasionally..I buy few grams and smoke it at home..on gigs or raves friends offer me to puff along..i am never gonna be a weed addict..i tolerate smokers,drug users etc..because i am not very to the point myself...I am certainly not a saint..i do not judge..i mean..I do not see harm in #######1 on condition you do not smoke 1 packet a day..unless one starts having lung problems etc..coughing..the craving for a #######1 is too difficult to withstand in my opinion..i think it's a stress relief factor for lots of people,me reckons?and also the adrenaline/dopamine factor perhaps?

http://www.healthline.com/health/add...cco#resources5
innerpeacelover
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Postby PinkCactus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:57 pm

jilkens wrote:I cut down before quitting. It was gradual and I started to make rules for myself about when & where I could smoke. It was easier than when I would try to go cold turkey before cutting down.

I found cold turkey the best way, are you still not smoking?
"Realisation is to get rid of the delusion that you have not realised"
PinkCactus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Smoking Addiction