Our partner

Person instructing me to go to my window in sleep

Sleepwalking Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Person instructing me to go to my window in sleep

Postby tlcourts » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm 18 years old and have been experiencing the occasional sleepwalking for about six years that I can remember. It doesn't happen very often, but enough to worry me at times. Most recently I will think that somebody is in my bed or bedroom with me, usually instructing me to do something. A month or so ago I was attempting to take the screen off of my bedroom window until I realized what I was doing and woke up.
Last night I was sleeping and thought there was somebody sleeping in my bed beside me. Apparently there was an object on the ceiling and the person in my bed was telling me to push it. I stood up on my bed and went towards my window, so I could reach the ceiling. I stood with one foot on my window sill and the other on my bed trying to reach the ceiling, but I couldn't. I then grabbed the inside of my window, standing with one foot still on the window sill and the other in midair so that I was up higher and able to reach the ceiling. Once I realized there was nothing on the ceiling and no way to push the ceiling up, I woke up, got down, and went back to sleep.
This worried me a little because my room is on the second story, overlooking the backyard patio. I realize other people have had far more dangerous sleepwalking experiences, but does anyone else experience imagining individuals speaking to them and instructing them during their sleep?
tlcourts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Person instructing me to go to my window in sleep

Postby Ada » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:52 pm

On a couple of occasions I've woken myself up swearing and shouting at people I've dreamed were in the room, but never listened to anything anyone said. Otherwise I'm very mundane, and stick to rearranging books or papers near the bed. :roll:

Would putting a string of bells on your window sill or screen help? Or perhaps a DIY burglar alarm with a sensor going across the window sill? Being asleep and anywhere near the window sounds plenty dangerous to me.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby tlcourts » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:33 pm

On those occasions, the people you were shouting out were in your dream, you didn't actually visualize them in the room? Because in my situations while I'm sleepwalking, my eyes are open and I can remember seeing an outline of someone in my room. Sometimes the outline is clearer than others. For instance, one of the first times it happened I sat up in bed and there were two women standing next to each other near my closet, asking me to come with them. Then most recently with the window incident, I looked down and only saw an outline of a leg.
tlcourts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ada » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 pm

I don't think I visualised them in that way. I do sleep with my eyes open some of the time, so I have put it down to misinterpreting unfamiliar shadows. Have you browsed back over the forum history to see if anything jumps out at you as seeming familiar?
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (35)

Return to Sleepwalking Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post