Our partner

Why?

Forum for the discussion of Shoplifting Addiction and related behavior.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Why?

Postby katydid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm not really a kleptomaniac, because it's not like I can't control myself. But I steal things sometimes, either because I don't want to spend money, or, more often, because when I'm upset or anxious, it makes me feel calmer. I usually only take small things, like nail polish or a pack of gum, that I can hide easily in my sleeve or the palm of my hand. I don't like to take expensive things, because it feels like I'm taking money from people. But lately I discovered how easy it is to slip a book into your purse, or hide clothes while you're in a dressing room. I've never taken anything worth over 30 dollars, but I've been doing it more often.
I shouldn't do this, and I know it. But there's something about the way it makes me feel. It's a weird thrill but it also makes me feel good, like I've accomplished something. It helps get my emotions under control. But then a bit later, when the buzz fades, I often start feeling really guilty. But that never stops me. So I guess my question is, why do I keep doing this when I know it's so wrong? How do I force myself to stop?
katydid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why?

Postby jasmin » Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi, katydid! Maybe you have this compulsion because of stress or emotional problems in your life. If it calms you down and you use it to manage your feelings, that might be the case. It has turned into an addiction and you need help. Have you ever talked to a therapist about it?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Shoplifting Addiction