Our partner

Shoplifting

Forum for the discussion of Shoplifting Addiction and related behavior.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Shoplifting

Postby Excuses » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:14 am

I've just recently developed a shoplifting problem. I'll admit I have stolen before. Twelve years ago, I occasionally shoplifted cosmetic items from CVS when I worked there as a teen.

However, I've recently shoplifted three times in the past two weeks. Initially, I shoved a couple nail polishes in my purse each time I went to Target. My last stealing binge was really bad though. I ended up walking out of Target with $300 worth of cosmetic products under my purse in my shopping cart, mostly OPI and essie nail polishes and Pixi makeup items. Honestly, I don't even paint my nails or wear expensive makeup very often.

I believe the high I feel from shoplifting is what is motivating me to steal again. Also, the challenge is too appealing and the risk of getting caught is energizing.

Also, before, during, and after I shoplift, I experience lapses in my memory. I'm not sure if this is a form of dissociation or what. I don't think I've ever dissociated in the past.

I guess when I came home from my shoplifting binge the other night (at 12:30 AM because I lost track of time), I asked my fiance if he was just my friend or if we were dating. I was also shocked at how much I shoplifted--sixteen OPI/essie nail polishes and eight Pixi makeup items. *mod edit*

I've never done anything like this before. What is wrong with me? I feel like Marie in Breaking Bad. The urge to steal something while I'm shopping is becoming worse. Has anyone else experienced this?

**Does Adderall XR increase impulses to steal or cause dissociation in people with borderline personality disorder? I was on a double dose of Adderall when I shoplifted (Adderall XR 60 mgs.).
Last edited by Ada on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Method edited out ;) No other changes.
Dx: ADHD-PI, GAD, BPD Traits
Px: Adderall XR, Zoloft, Klonopin PRN
Excuses
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 3:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Shoplifting

Postby katwomansz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:38 pm

One cure is to pay the money back, you can just slip the cash at the customer service center.

Also when I was young my guilt made me put the items back. I had read the book to that was easy I guess.
katwomansz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 6:09 am

Postby SuperMoose » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:47 am

Maybe you should try to replace it with some other thrilling challenge like video games.
SuperMoose
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby LiftingThrillsMe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:09 pm

I mostly steal when I want something. I blame YouTube beauty videos for getting my stealing habit to come back out. After 7 years of stopping. So I see things they wear/love/recommend and want it too. I used to work for a beauty dept. store and I could steal so easily the higher end items. And I did steal several thousands worth over a 2 year span before quitting and moving away. I was getting married and moving back to his homestate. Anyway, I never got caught. And I was able to keep up with all the new makeup I wanted and not worry about paying my CC bills off. Since I've moved here, no work, stay at home housewife trying for a baby. I still steal but at the drugstore or Walmart- the only close things nearby. So now it's harder to keep up but at least I get all of the new affordable makeup. I also steal at the grocery store. I hide smaller pricier items under the large dog food bag. Not technically stealing. They don't lift the big bag to scan it. So I can easily conceal pricey "squirt juice" sports drinks, dog treats, pricey organic granola. etc. Saving us $16. Not much but something. I need to try your Target idea. UNDER the purse in the cart? Nice! Do you buy stuff too and then leave with lots more under? Impressed!! :twisted:
LiftingThrillsMe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby HopeDESPAIR » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I think we should all focus on getting caught. The second thing we should all focus on is the amount of useless $#%^ we steal. 300 dollars of makeup sounds unnecessary. By stealing our focus is not where it should be. Its not on our families,hobbies or work. I dont want my daughter to know I steal.

-- Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:29 pm --

I think we should all focus on getting caught. The second thing we should all focus on is the amount of useless $#%^ we steal. 300 dollars of makeup sounds unnecessary. By stealing our focus is not where it should be. Its not on our families,hobbies or work. I dont want my daughter to know I steal.
HopeDESPAIR
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 am

Postby LiftingThrillsMe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:38 pm

The thing IS I don't want to stop. I get away with so much, without having to spend my husband's hard earned money (or what little I have saved left) it's such a thrill. I love the feeling each time :(
LiftingThrillsMe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby saila » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:56 am

I think many humans have a natural desire for adventure.

Criminal activity has the property of damaging the property of other individuals. This makes something bad out of a good desire. And that is simply more than questionable.

I would rather try doing some base jumping, kayaking, climbing.

Producing or watching beauty videos and commercials would be criminalised, if I was the legislative.

Beauty care like makeup in my view is a grievance. I consider it a humiliation. An attempt to improve own status by compulsive banality. And the pressure to assimilate, I consider nothing less than a severe case of psychological violence in society.
saila
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Postby HopeDESPAIR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

Im not sure how helpful the above post is? An addiction is an addiction. Telling somebody its wrong is stating the obvious. Telling them stealing is partly ignited by advertising is also obvious.

I would suggest Terrance Shulmanns book-Something for nothing. It deals with the root causes. Causes you might not be aware of. Its the best book on the market

You will get caught eventually. There are other alternatives. You could try to get a better job or as to be fair to the poster above-get a hobby.
HopeDESPAIR
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby NewSunRising » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:30 am

I agree , but we do get folks here who offer what they believe is helpful advice , they just don't have experience with the particular subject that they are replying to .

I take it as "not exactly helpful but well-meaning " and try not to read anything into it . Unless they wish to start arguing about it . Then we will address the issue .
NewSunRising
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Postby saila » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:34 am

HopeDESPAIR wrote:Telling them stealing is partly ignited by advertising is also obvious.

No, I disagree. Having advertisments thrown at us, doesn't partly ignite us stealing.

"I blame YouTube beauty videos for getting my stealing habit to come back out." was the thread-opener "Excuses" stating.

But it is an intentional act watching YouTube videos. "Blaming" that for your stealing is handing reliability for own acts to the outside world, when you are the actually acting person.

What really exerts the pressure on us, of keeping up with any consumption and maskerade, is our fellow citizens following the media and advertisement example in the first place, and in the second place letting us know non-verbally, that they expect us to follow the advertisement ideals also. Or maybe we are to a drgree willing to adapt (and maybe even steal for that) without being asked? An Interesting question to me.

I refer to this as a form of structural violence. The subliminal pressure to adapt to the ""standard"". Please think about it. The eyeballing you are given if you don't wash your car. In my home country you cannot go shopping in a jogging pants without reaping non-verbal disapproval from your fellow citizens, that is said to be different in the US.

The pressure women are subdued to (and very much by other women), if they don't shave, make-up, hunger, make fancy shoes, dressing, hair styles like their peers.

The eyeballing you might be given if you mow your lawn late or not at all or drive an old car.

The list I might open here is very, very long.

And this structural violence of adapting to the standards of masquerade and bling-bling is for me a possible explanation for this shop-lifting as a form of sub-conscious counter-aggression. Maybe because we feel pressure of blending in, to something we don't originally are interested of blending in.

Of course this is one interpretion among others. Plus it does obviously not relieve a thief of ethical or legal liability for his action.

But it is not true, that the (disgusting) advertisment images, pretenses, stereotypes and subtle, yet brutal implied judgements, that I urge us, to shut out of our senses and life, or at least to reflect, and not follow unreflected, makes us thieves.

Especially not, when you watch YouTube beauty-videos intentionally, as no one except one self can make you do this as far as I know.

And I felt that this misconception (making the excuse of blaming it on youtube) called for rectification.

Furthermore I ask the question. If we adapt to questionable "trends", unconsciuously or even against our own convictions, become we not doers ourselves, that coerce actively or passively pressure on others to align themselves to the mass? Surely by adapting socially mildly or excessively, we get ourselves out of the way of being targeted by those structural violences...
saila
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Next

Return to Shoplifting Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post