Our partner

Sexual addiction not being taken seriously.

Sexual Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Sexual addiction not being taken seriously.

Postby CaraTheCool » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi guys. I know none of you guys know me but I've been reading these forums for a while and I feel like I need advice on some stuff or at least some insight. The problem is that my addiction is messing up my life in a big way and I feel completely powerless. It's not something I feel comfortable bringing up with my doctor. After a week of working my way up to talking about it with my counsellor, she just told me that I "need to stop". I feel like there is no support available anywhere and I feel like it's something I just can't stop.
In terms of the problems it's causing me, I've lost a lot of friendships because of things I've done. I cant help getting myself in situations where I'm going to have sex. I know I have to stop, but I don't want to. I've got in a lot of trouble with my parents, too, and I get in trouble with school a lot because I spend so much time masturbating when I wake up that I'm virtually late every day. I know this sounds stupid, almost, and some people might think it's not a disorder, but I really feel like it is. My behaviour has absolutely messed up the inside lf my head, from the absolute high of doing it to entire days full of shame and regret and self hatred. My question is could this be a symptom of a bigger disorder? Is it worth talking to my doctor, and how would you bring something like that up? And some general advice would be helpful too.
CaraTheCool
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sexual addiction not being taken seriously.

Postby Wally58 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 pm

I don't understand your counselor's response. If you know that you have to stop, but don't want to, then at least you are halfway there.
Asking for help is the hardest part. You might want to try a 12-step SA meeting. You don't have to speak, but you might want to introduce yourself with your first name if they ask if there are any newcomers. Hopefully there is one near you.
The only requirement of the first step is admitting powerlessness over the problem:
https://www.sa.org/steps/
Your doctor may be more helpful with possible resources and he/she will hold your discussion in confidence. Best of luck to you.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 pm

Re: Sexual addiction not being taken seriously.

Postby KaREBear_88 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:57 pm

I agree with Wally. SA is great and I don't go as often as I ought to. It helps just to know that you're not alone. I feel like I can't be in a normal relationship because I need it so often, and as a mostly hetero girl you would think that's not a problem but I guess the average person just doesn't need it as much? I don't know.

In terms of it potentially being part of a different problem - do you have any other addictions? I have kind of a binge personality, for example. If I have sex I need to do it everyday for the next several days until I'm grossed out; if I drink I need to drink for the next several days until I get sick; if I work out I have to work out for the next several days until I hurt myself. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, maybe something worth looking into?
KaREBear_88
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Return to Sexual Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post