Our partner

Desire makes it impossible to get what you want

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

Desire makes it impossible to get what you want

Postby nicolai » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Ok so I know this might be kinda off topic for this forum but it was the best I could find. It IS self-help relevent though =). SO anyways I just watched this video and this guy makes some good points but also seems like he's just talking circles.. Could I get some intelligent feedback on this. He really interests me but.. idk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAeSgsQtYNE
nicolai
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Desire makes it impossible to get what you want

Postby Jerril » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 am

I think this fellow is onto something but I don't entirely agree with his belief system.

In my experiences, it is OK to desire something, totally fine as long as one doesn't stay stuck in the suffering of desire. But, I think it's important to know what our heart truly desires. It is a first step.

But if we dwell on it, we end up repeating to ourselves, "I want more money in my life" (for example - or whatever else we desire.) This is not a good statement to cling to. Then we are telling ourselves that we are wanting. That's all we're saying. I want. I want. I want.

We need to go beyond that and say to ourselves, "I desire more money in my life. I am now willing to be open to new ways of making more money in ways that are healthy and enjoyable. I see myself with more money and I can imagine what that feels like, to feel better financially, more comfortable, etc... I'm willing to work towards this and to let the pieces fall into place in the best way possible."

That is my understanding of the mechanics of desire and obtaining what we wish for. I have to admit, when I was much younger money was VERY important to me. I used to have an image of a giant gold coin which hung over my head for years and I worked VERY hard to stack those coins up so I could buy land and it took time but I made it happen.

I could've worked smarter, paced myself a lot more, and not been as grumpy, however.... :)

The new agers believe we create our own reality. Yes, that is true to some extent, in my mind, but we have to remember there are billions of others also creating reality. We can't turn the tides of major historical events all alone (unless we're very politically powerful, of course). We're stuck with certain limitations of being human. But we do create a lot of our lives in terms of how we choose to approach life, how we spend our time, thoughts and energy which do almost invariably generate results over time.

Here's an example: If we go out to a party and tell ourselves no one is attracted to us, in all probability, we won't have anyone finding us attractive. However, if we tell ourselves we're handsome or beautiful, we project this and others see it as well (BTW, I do believe almost anyone can take care of themselves really well, groom themselves nicely, and let their unique beauty shine through).

Similarly, if we go out for job interviews and tell ourselves beforehand that we're not worthy of getting a job, chances are we're going to project that and employers will not be interested.

I do think that this fellow in onto something when he talks of not wanting something yet having it land in our laps. I've also experienced this as well... so.... um... er... uh....

The universe just doesn't want to be explained all the time, I guess!
Jerril
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Desire makes it impossible to get what you want

Postby George L. » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:04 am

Desire + Passion + Positive Attitude + A Plan/System + Perseverance(never giving up) = SUCCESS
8)
You Control Your Life
http://mysubconsciousmind.org/
George L.
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:10 am

Return to Self Help Books