Our partner

ocpd books?

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: thegentlepath

ocpd books?

Postby Exiled. » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 am

I think my dad is ocpd. Are there any books on ocpd that wouldn't offend him if I gave him it?
The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.
- Paul Muad'Dib Atreides

It does not do, to dwell on dreams and forget to live. Remember that.
- Albus Dumbledore

My life - My responsibility.
Exiled.
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ocpd books?

Postby realitycheque » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:24 pm

"Too Perfect" by Mallinger; it describes the traits but doesn't really offer much in the way of self-improvement

A book that is also an on-line text which might be a good start is "Tightrope Walking" by Daniel
http://www.lendingtheway.com/tightrope/OCPD2.pdf

Anytime you bring up a personality disorder, a person might be offended. Don't worry about that, though. It won't change the fact that the person is behaving badly. In order for the person to change their behavior, someone must bring the behavior to their attention in a calm manner. If it's presented in an emotional manner, that takes away the credibility of the information.

Learn as much as you can about OCPD first, then think about presenting to your parent. Don't expect complete change. Go for the big problems (like stopping OCPD rages) and be insistent on those (see Boundaries). Good luck.....
realitycheque
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Beyond Reasonable Doubt: Reasoning Processes in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Related Disorders by Kieron O'Connor
Obsessive Compulsive Disorders: A Practical Guide by Naomi Fineberg

Too Perfect: When Being in Control Gets Out of Control (Paperback)
by Jeannette Dewyze <-- there's been good reviews on this one apparently.

Any books pretty much that are self help that has to do with OCD will mention OCPD in them and have sections about it.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Postby sfguy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:45 pm

OCPD seems to have little info in comparison to other PDs. There's volumes written about borderlines and a lot about narcissism too. Even this board is kind of dead.

I've gotten the idea from my research so far that it's pretty different from OCD, and would be treated differently too. I get obsessions about ideas in my head, and the compulsions involve thinking about or acting on those obsessions, but I'm not talking about little "routines" like hand-washing, my obsessions are generally big things like hobbies or projects or large subjects. PDs and psychology in general has been the focus of my OC for 6 months now which explains why I've read so many books, why I'm here on these forums a lot, and why my mind wanders to psychology all the time when I'm not doing anything else.

For me, I think OCPD is like the educational equivalent of getting a masters degree on whatever subject captures my interest in about a year.
sfguy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:27 pm

Postby mackethridge » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:52 pm

Friend, you had asked about whether there are any OCPD books available suitable for recommending or giving to an OCPD person that would not offend (not upset, anger, or alienate) them. To my knowledge, the only comprehensive self-help book like this of its kind which validates the great worth and personhood of an OCPD person, while providing a proven program of successful treatment (provided there is at least a hint of Insight), is entitled 'OCPD's Only Hope of Psychological Wellness! -- The One Scientific Plan Capable of Progressively Freeing the OCPD Bound'. It is available through Amazon as of this month July 2014.
mackethridge
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby mackethridge » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 am

Friend, regarding suggesting a book to give to another whom you think has OCPD, but you do not want to upset them, the following can be very helpful, but ONLY if this person is highly spiritually- oriented, and keeps an open mind regarding the study of Scripture: When OCPD Meets the Power of God! (Available through Amazon.com) If such a person does not meet the above criteria, this book probably would not be suitable for him or her (but, it still is ideal for the non-OCPD person to gain vital (virtually unknown) knowledge regarding this detrimental condition). Sincerely, Mack Ethridge, President, New Frontier Health Research, Inc.
mackethridge
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Self Help Books

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post