Our partner

What Self Help Books Have Helped You?

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

What Self Help Books Have Helped You?

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Share the books that have helped you deal with anything from Anxiety, depression, PTSD, Abuse issues, NPD etc etc.


Mine so far are:

-Don't Panic- R.Reid Wilson <-- For anxiety


-The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook- Edmund J. Bourne <-- For anxiety


-Self Esteem Workbook: Glenn R. Schiraldi <---self esteem and self confidence


-Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society - Bessel A. van der Kolk, Alexander C. McFarlane, and Lars Weisaeth <-- PTSD & understanding Trauma


-The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment- Babette Rothschild <-- understanding body memories- great book


-Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence--From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror- Judith L. Herman <-- PTSD/Abuse etc.


I was also told to purchase a book called Healing From Trauma by Jasmin Lee Cori, Anyone read that one?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:25 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:48 am

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life, by Thich Nhat Hahn, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, is a wonderful book that offers a different sort of text than many self help books. Mainly, it speaks of on mindfulness, the concept of being conscious and aware of what's happening at every moment, not judging it if possible, and not looking forward or back. It often changes the way I'm feeling at the moment for the better. It also helps to alleviate boredom while doing everyday things. Very interesting, and a neat thing to try for anyone with a lot of thoughts. In fact, a neat thing to try for everyone in Western civilization lol. I hope that I helped, and that you find what you're looking for.
wolftigerrosebud
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:36 am
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jims » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:50 pm

I have reviewed a number of books on my website that have helped me.

I use the cognitive therapy that is described in Peace of Body Peace of Mind by Rose VanSickle. I think a lot of books would work if we really did what they say to do.
Jim S
jims
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:18 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ecco » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 am

Brain Lock- For OCD

This book has given me useful strategies to start to overcome obsessional thoughts. Waiting 15 minutes without doing anything to overcome compulsions is a slow but gradual way to change your behavior.
Ecco
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:20 am
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Savvy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:01 pm

How I Stayed Alive When my Brain was Trying to Kill Me by Susan Rose Blauner. Even if you're skeptical the whole time you read it, it helps!
Savvy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Savvy wrote:How I Stayed Alive When my Brain was Trying to Kill Me by Susan Rose Blauner. Even if you're skeptical the whole time you read it, it helps!



What's that one about ?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:25 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby kathy.brewis73 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 am

Feeling Good by David Burns
kathy.brewis73
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Philo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 pm

I recommend books on Zen for people possessed by negative energies or demons. The whole Zen outlook is a very neutral one, and that helps normalize and even-out any peaks in the perception/sensation of evil. So far it has worked better than prayer for me.
Philo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:30 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Savvy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Butterfly Faerie wrote:
Savvy wrote:How I Stayed Alive When my Brain was Trying to Kill Me by Susan Rose Blauner. Even if you're skeptical the whole time you read it, it helps!



What's that one about ?


It's about having power over your thoughts. Mostly geared toward not listening to suicidal thoughts, but also how to ignore and eliminate negative internal dialogues.

I totally love it, it's written in a really honest, down-to-earth style from a woman who's been there. It's also broken up into lots of really short sections, so it's easy to read even if you don't have lots of time or attention to delve into in-depth psych-type books.
Savvy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:12 am

Savvy wrote:
Butterfly Faerie wrote:
Savvy wrote:How I Stayed Alive When my Brain was Trying to Kill Me by Susan Rose Blauner. Even if you're skeptical the whole time you read it, it helps!



What's that one about ?


It's about having power over your thoughts. Mostly geared toward not listening to suicidal thoughts, but also how to ignore and eliminate negative internal dialogues.

I totally love it, it's written in a really honest, down-to-earth style from a woman who's been there. It's also broken up into lots of really short sections, so it's easy to read even if you don't have lots of time or attention to delve into in-depth psych-type books.


Nice, it sounds interesting, did you find it helpful ?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:25 pm
Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Self Help Books




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest