Our partner

Dialectical Therapy Book for Anxiety and Depression

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: thegentlepath

Dialectical Therapy Book for Anxiety and Depression

Postby psybear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:13 pm

There is a very readable and helpful workbook called "Depressed and Anxious, The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety" by Thomas Marra. You can go to Alibris, a used and new book site to find it maybe for less than full price. A lot of DBT books seemed complicated to me, and written as much for therapists as their clients. This is a client centered book, but also can be brought to your therapist so he/she can see what your working on.

The following are some of the basic aspects of DBT:

an approach that places focus on your feelings as valid pieces of information
a set of techniques that help you deal with your feelings better
a set of strategies that places greatest emphasis on your own objectivs
a series of exercises that help you understand the function of your emotions, increasing your knowledge of yourself
behavioral techniques that increase your ability to regulate and control your emotions
a set of procedures that assists you to reduce avoidance and escape as core strategies in handling emotional difficulties
mindfulness training to improve your observational skills
strategies to reduce self absorption and self consciousness, thus increasing your ability to accurately perceive events

I was given this book by a friend of mine who is not only a genius among geniuses but also a doctor. He gives this book away to his patients that are having problems with anxiety and depression. It is a workbook, not just a self help book. You actually need to do the exercises to get the help. I've used this book over and over through the years, and also given copies away to people. When I get stuck, I pull this book out again and start to use it. I am recommending this book now because I am again stuck in depression and anxiety and have not been doing my DBT skills, so it's something you can refer back to over and over. Hope this helps someone out there struggling with anxiety. It's all about dealing with unregulated emotions.
psybear
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Dialectical Therapy Book for Anxiety and Depression

Postby Smiggles » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:32 am

Lovely! seems like a good read, I'll have to check it out if I can. thanks for sharing! :wink:
*Won't be very active over the next 3 weeks*

There's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.

My previous username is Corgis.
Smiggles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dialectical Therapy Book for Anxiety and Depression

Postby Hepzibah Pynchon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks for posting the recommendation. I had ended up getting "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook" by McKay, Wood, and Brantley. I'm finding it incredibly helpful as well. Have only gone through it once so far, but expect (like you) I'll be referring back to it in future. I have a problem with social anxiety or avoidance...something along those lines. Also some mostly mild, now, depression.

It feels so good to have practical skills that I can apply to day to day problems. It does take practice, at least it does me. I'm still pretty new at using the skills. But it works. I would encourage anybody to check out self help DBT even if you're not able or not willing to do live therapy.
Hepzibah Pynchon
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (16)

Return to Self Help Books

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post