Our partner

Has anyone read Jung & Freud?

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: thegentlepath

Has anyone read Jung & Freud?

Postby JDW » Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Did it help and are there studies and teachings worth looking into? I don't want to spend a whole lot of energy into something as far back as the 19/20th century, I mean as clever as they were, I just can't see half of it being relevant in todays society.

One thing I know is I don't want to waste time on something that simply won't help in the end, theres too many "read this book for the cure!" and others like that out there. I've found bad advice given with good intentions or a strong belief in the advice is far more dangerous than no advice at all. Especiall on youtube with these people coming up with a load of point systems with no qualifications or enough experience saying it's your fault and you need to now do their stupid 83 different things in order to cure yourself or something.

When it comes to anxiety, social phobias/agrophobia and BDD and OCD, what good could Jung and Freud be if none of these disorders were even given names back then. I mean there society of the 19th century, early 20th century is a whole different world, it's like teaching aliens on mars.
JDW
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Has anyone read Jung & Freud?

Postby Sonseearae » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:10 am

I think you've asked some excellent questions surrounding your concerns.

I'm a fan of Maslow who, if you are unfamiliar with him, created a way of looking at human needs and development. At the base, he refers to our basic needs for survival. Once those are achieved, we move on to other less critical needs until we reach the pinnacle which is self-actualization.

Similarly, Jung and Freud created the base on which most of psychiatry's understanding was built. Admittedly, I'm basing this on one short post, but you seem like the type of person who understands that most people in the world are not innovators or independent thinkers. Most of what passes as relevant today is based on their work at some level. For that reason alone, I think it's worth a perusal if you are trying to understand yourself better.
People confuse passionate with crazy all the time. Just to be clear, I am bat-$#%^ passionate.
Sonseearae
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:31 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: Has anyone read Jung & Freud?

Postby BlueChesterfield » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Althought Freud's ideas have been wildly used in psychotherapy, but with time they have been proven to be ineffective in treatment. Psychotherapists are moving away from it, I would recomend that you find some books on CBT.
BlueChesterfield
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Self Help Books

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post