Our partner

BPD plays the major role in new novel - "Delbert Judd"

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: thegentlepath

BPD plays the major role in new novel - "Delbert Judd"

Postby FictionWriter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:23 pm

After ten years of marriage, Delbert Judd is still desperately in love with his wife, Hannah. Delbert Judd is also desperately lost.

He doesn’t get out of the house much, but that’s by design. The fewer interactions with others, the better his odds are that Hannah will not go off on him or sink into an unfathomable depression. Delbert can rarely predict what might offend his wife next. Hannah suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder.

Delbert Judd delivers the portrait of a quirky, fifty-five year old man who is not emotionally prepared to reenter the world - the one on the other side of his home’s mini blinds. Hannah Judd though is away - a long-planned, extended business trip in her position as Systems Manager for the local newspaper. She is a high-functioning BPD.

Delbert stuggles during the initial stages of her absence:

The possibilities with Hannah were finite: scary or funny, white or
black, miserable or mesmerizing, heads or tails, heaven or hell. Nothing
in the middle existed. She paid off like a teaser slot or a couple grams
of coke. You get way, way up, then you come crashing down, down, and
down some more.

You can’t just walk away.

You are addicted to the flying, to being Hannah’s hero, her Archangel
Michael. You miss it, that possibility, every day she’s gone. Hannah made
the highs higher.

And the lows more frequent.

Delbert as White Knight or Boschean Monster.

You pays your moneys and you takes your medicine.

He slid another alprazolam under his tongue and wrapped his arms
around the warm and comforting pillows.

Through his slatted windows, Delbert watches daily the odd comings and goings of his new neighbors. His curiosity finally drives Delbert out of the house, across the street, and into a bitter zoning battle. Within hours, Delbert finds himself in charge of the neighborhood project to rid his street of a fraternity that has moved into their residential-only area. That it is a Christian fraternity serves to complicate the issue as politics and religion entangle in unforeseen ways.

As Delbert reengages with people, he is happy to find his sharp sense of humor still intact. The problem is that he no longer can control his mouth. He blurts. The thoughts, once safely ensconced in his head, are pouring through his lips at inappropriate times causing emotional turmoil for Delbert and those around him. Not that what he says isn’t true. It always is. But the truth tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Then there is the eight o’clock on the dot call from Hannah – on their home’s landline. Missing even one of her nightly calls is not a thought that Delbert entertains. He fears that not answering the phone could cause Hannah to unleash another soul-crushing episode, or as Delbert has come to call it - the Wham-O Superball of Crazy. Who knows what direction the next bounce will take?

As he reveals to one of his new neighborhood friends:

“Hannah is borderline personality disorder, BPD.”

“Well, borderline…that doesn’t sound so bad,” Michael said. “Sounds
like you’re straddling the fence, like one foot’s in the real world.”

“Borderline is a misnomer,” Delbert countered. “Whoever named it
did us all a disservice. It’s extreme. It’s so out there it would take me
weeks to explain.”

Delbert Judd is an awkward everyman in the process of letting go in one world while struggling to connect with another. At times, his special brand of wisdom reveals itself through a sense of humor that never seems to give Delbert a moment’s rest. Other times, Delbert penetrates through the external façade to explore the deepest reaches of his heart-wrenching relationship with Hannah.

In Delbert Judd, the reader can expect to laugh, to cry, to think. At the end, some readers might not feel so alone. They might feel more connected to the world, more thoughtful, and a little more hopeful about life.

http://www.amazon.com/Delbert-Judd-Dan- ... ap_title_0
Last edited by Ada on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FictionWriter
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: BPD plays the major role in new novel - "Delbert Judd"

Postby username2013 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:52 am

Blah, all sounds very cliche to me, and if your intro is any indication, then I suppose I can expect the book to be just as schlocky. Plus I don't mind saying I feel rather offended by the premise of this book and how it portrays a pwBPD. Stereotype much? :roll:
username2013
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby username2013 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:10 am

*mod edit*
Last edited by WichitaLineman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: duplicate
username2013
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby FictionWriter » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:41 pm

From Kirkus Reviews:
"The narrative is an intriguing exploration of mental illness, particularly borderline personality disorder, and how it affects its sufferers and the people who surround them. The book also considers religious freedom and the abuse of religious freedom. Overall, the tale is lighthearted and funny thanks to the humor of oddball Delbert, but it also explores some substantial issues, which gives it poignancy and weight. A well-written novel..."
FictionWriter
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby username2013 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:57 am

Don't listen to me. I was in a mood when I posted that last message. :roll:
username2013
Consumer 6
Consumer 6