Our partner

Dark Souvenirs by Evelyn Lybelle

Self Help Books message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: thegentlepath

Dark Souvenirs by Evelyn Lybelle

Postby Welsh Dragonfly » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Dark Souvenirs (A Candid Memoir of Incest and Child Abuse in Middle Class America) by Evelyn Lybelle ISBN: 9-781495-398926

I just came across this book and was blown away by it. I've read a lot of books on child abuse where the author addresses the abuse, but this one goes beyond - not just talking about how she healed, but how she went on to heal others.

I expected this to be a tell-all on the graphic nature of her abuse. I can absolutely empathize with other abuse victims wanting to share their story, but I have found that too much detail causes me to have flashbacks, which is not something I want when trying to find a book to help me heal. The first chapter is pretty graphic (her second grade teacher is asking them to recall their earliest memories and all she can remember is her abuse) but after that she focuses on all of the lesser thought of parts of the abuse, like our feelings of no self-worth, feeling like we deserved the abuse, and of course, the trauma of being labeled. Her abuse, both sexual and psychological was horrifying, but she constantly gives us rays of hope, flashing forward to her experience as a teacher and how she recognized her same issues in her students and how she helped them heal, as well as herself. I found myself uplifted, and more importantly, hopeful for my own healing. I'd love to know if anyone else has read it and what they thought.
Welsh Dragonfly
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Self Help Books