Our partner

Did anybody else have issues with homework?

Selective Mutism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Did anybody else have issues with homework?

Postby sammy1215 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:04 am

I had undiagnosed selective mutism growing up. At home I would talk to anyone in my family. I played with girls who lived in my building and I never had an issue talking to them. But at school I was EXTREMELY shy (intentional caps, to convey severity). I would only talk to other students and staff when they spoke to me, otherwise never initiated conversations, not at all, not once. I never even asked to go to the bathroom. I was very afraid to initiate a conversation.

I refused to do homework during 4th and 5th grade the entire year. When I would come home I was EXTREMELY overwhelmed. A 6 hour school day was equivalent to a full time work week for an adult for me, or probably worse. So I would come home burned out. A child with selective mutism only speaks in situations they feel "relaxed". Perhaps I was in an environment I didn't feel "relaxed" in or I had anxiety in for 6 hours and was burned out at the end of the day.

Did anybody else have this issue?
sammy1215
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Did anybody else have issues with homework?

Postby caughtinafray » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 pm

I can relate to the first paragraph very accurately, except it didn't become a problem until around 3rd/4th grade. After that, I became very reclusive and socially isolated myself from everyone, as my childhood fell apart. As for homework, there were certain assignments I couldn't do, mainly things like art, story-writing, and all the "creative stuff" that most kids enjoyed, if I did it, I couldn't let anyone see it because I'd be way too embarrassed, regardless whether they thought it was good. Everyone thought I was just "lazy" or something and my mom got mad at me for it all the time.... it wasn't my fault in the least.
DX: Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Bipolar type 2
caughtinafray
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:04 am
Blog: View Blog (64)

Re: Did anybody else have issues with homework?

Postby Holodeck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Pretty much the same as caughtinafray said even with the 3rd/4th grade bit. I was diagnosed with auditory and visual dyslexia when I was young, and despite how hard I listened, and took notes I'd always wind up studying the wrong way. I had a natural gift for languages so English was a cake subject for me, but despite being able to walk through how to solve an equation perfectly, I couldn't remember or see numbers in order to get any math problem right. My mom told my teachers I had a learning disability so naturally kids being jerks translated that as I must have down-syndrome. Everything I'd say got made fun of and shot down by my peers immediately, so I simply stopped talking. Homeschooling helped and I gained more confidence by college, but man it took time.
Holodeck
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Selective Mutism Forum