Our partner

Speaking quietly/strangely

Selective Mutism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Speaking quietly/strangely

Postby Hennet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:50 am

I know it's probably useless to post this here, it's so quiet, but I'll try anyways....

So I was never diagnosed with this, but I know from reading that I had selective mutism as a child. I didn't speak at all in school, It went on until high school or more, and only because I forced myself to change. I don't really know where my sm ended, because sometimes it still goes on to this day....

But...I just wonder if this is the cause of my 'strange' speaking? I just wonder, if others have recovered from this, do you speak strangely/quietly now as an adult?

I speak in almost whispers with other people, and people can't really hear me sometimes, so I have to try really hard to be heard. People look at me when I talk, and I've been told I speak like a child. I also have difficulty formulating sentences now. I speak with very few words, and if I have to speak on the spot, I sometimes can't do it. My mind doesn't catch up to what I'm saying fast enough. And sometimes I have trouble processing what others are asking or speaking about. It's really difficult. I feel like I'm behind, or delayed, in speaking and understanding.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? I ask because a psychiatrist told me once that someone would have noticed if I was speaking like I do. I told her no one noticed, but I honestly can't remember if I've always spoken a little oddly or if I gained it for some unknown reason after years of not talking.
Hennet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Speaking quietly/strangely

Postby wonderme » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Hello Hennet! It is probably late to reply now, but as you said the sm forum is a little quiet, I wonder why :wink: But who knows, you could find my answer or someone else could benefit from it.
As a child I was totally mute in some situations too. When I went quiet I felt my mind going blank as if nothing was in there at all. Like in your case it did continue all the way into adulthood. And when I forced myself to speak, my heart would race and I would get shaky. And when sound finally came out of my mouth, it was often just a whisper or the words were too fast or something else was wrong with it.
But then again, it depended on the situation because my speech was normal and I was fluent most of the times. Now I can say I am pretty much over this and a number of other issues that I did have alongside this one.

I do not know if your sm and your child like speech are related. Also I am not a doctor. I do have a keen interest in the neurosciences though, and I am often experimenting with things myself. What I think could help is to mimic somebody you would like to be talking like. And practice. And then practice some more until it becomes second nature. This I think could help you in the long run and it can be fun too.

Take care for now and let me know if you are going to give it a shot x
wonderme
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:27 am

Re: Speaking quietly/strangely

Postby Killuminatimj » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:08 am

This is exactly like me, i saw an academic study years ago and basically theres 3 levels:

1 - not talking at all
2 - talking quietly/strangley
3 - talking normally

People with sm have a combination of these and i found its hardest to move from 1 to 2 and easier to go from 2 to 3. You just need to pratice talking with the right people. For example at university ive learnt to talk a lot more (still quietly but more naturally and starting converstaions) by having things to say. Like i need to talk about the project im doing with other people in the group. If you try practising what to say before meeting a friend it will help you get better :)
Killuminatimj
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:27 am

Return to Selective Mutism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post