Our partner

What is S.A.D

Seasonal Affective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What is S.A.D

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:15 am

What is S.A.D.?
depression that afflicts people only during the autumn and winter months
(October-April)
the cause is believed to be due to the shorter daylight hours in autumn and winter

Who is affected by S.A.D.?

5% suffer from severe form of S.A.D.; 15% suffer more moderate symptoms
more common in women than in men (4-1)

Symptoms of S.A.D.
feeling down, gloomy
loss of energy
withdraw socially
carbohydrate cravings & increased appetite
sleep problems
normal daily functions difficult to perform
difficulty concentrating & feeling alert
Note:
- these symptoms do diminish, as the days get longer
- someone afflicted with S.A.D. may experience brief periods of S.A.D.
- like symptoms in the summer (1-2 weeks)

S.A.D. vs. Winter Blues
Winter Blues – similar, yet milder symptoms of S.A.D. - lack of energy, feeling sad or
down but, the most significant difference is the ability to function.

What causes S.A.D.?
lack of sunlight in fall and winter
reduces the production of serotonin
signals brain to overproduce “hibernation hormone”, melatonin
too much melatonin in day makes us sleepy, shortens our activity cycle
Circadian Rhythms, an internal body clock, regulates daily activity cycles over a 24-hour period, and bright light signals are necessary to reset this body clock every day.
lack of light causes the body clock to go ‘out of whack’; thus affecting sleep, making it difficult to wake up, or causing a person to fall asleep and wake up at inappropriate times

Treatment for S.A.D.

Medication
antidepressant medications may be used alone or in conjunction with light therapy and changes in your diet – consult your doctor

Diet
by reducing the amount of carbohydrates in your diet you will experience fewer symptoms of lethargy and may find reduced cravings for food which will reduce weight gain that frequently accompanies this illness
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What is S.A.D

Postby tyciol » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Since our skin makes vitamin D out of cholesterols and UV rays, do you think some of the metabolic aspects of this might be due to a lack of vitamin D production? Do psychiatrists sometimes experiment with including some along with light/antidepressants/talk therapy as a means of seeing if it improves in case there's some kind of shortage?

I'm not sure if there' s a blood test people could take or anything.

Not just the less light but since we go outside less, and cover up more of our skin when we do.

It's probably even tougher for darker-skinned individuals since their pigment blocks some of the UV so they need more of it to make as much VitD and also since they tend to be descended from people closer to the equator might be less adapted to people descended from those closer to the poles at utilizing lesser amounts of light better.
tyciol
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:51 pm

Postby mountainsongs » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:44 am

i lived up in fairbanks AK for about a year and a half, i was familiar with S.A.D from other peoples stories, however it was the opposite for me, during the summer months we had 24 hours of light, the sun never went down. the winter i loved, it didint effect me in anyway. the summer months, i noticed i craved alot of carbs constantly, i even gained between 15 and 20 pounds during the summer also dealt with alot of gloom, irritation, trouble waking, feeling fatigue etc...i would return to my normal state once late fall came around..i have never herd of someone having S.A.D during summer..always kinda wondered if thats what was effecting me up there, i dont live there anymore though, at least for the time being.
mountainsongs
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Postby miromirante » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:27 am

Great forums...even can learn something in short words that u think u know but U DON'T :)
I'm A MAN with HIGH PERFORMANCE :)
miromirante
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:51 am

Postby OregonYeti » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:19 am

Hello, I'm a little off-topic here--I'm new, this is my first post, and I was looking for a place to introduce myself, as most forums that I know of have. Where should I start? By the way, I have been diagnosed with S.A.D., I looked up forums where it's discussed, and that's how I found this one.
OregonYeti
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Postby janjones » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 am

Welcome to the forum OregonYeti :D

If you want to do an intro, you can do it here: member-introduction The majority of forum goers don’t do an intro (I never did) and just start posting to threads or start their own with the necessary info but we’d love to hear your story, if you’d like to tell it. You could do an intro in this forum as well but admittedly, it isn’t as active a forum as some others. The other mood disorder forums are more active and you may find some threads in clinical depression that resonate with you.

Again, welcome and hope to see you around :D
Jan
I am not on the forum much these days. Please contact another staff member. Thank you.
janjones
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Type2_bp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:52 am

mountainsongs wrote:i lived up in fairbanks AK for about a year and a half, i was familiar with S.A.D from other peoples stories, however it was the opposite for me, during the summer months we had 24 hours of light, the sun never went down. the winter i loved, it didint effect me in anyway. the summer months, i noticed i craved alot of carbs constantly, i even gained between 15 and 20 pounds during the summer also dealt with alot of gloom, irritation, trouble waking, feeling fatigue etc...i would return to my normal state once late fall came around..i have never herd of someone having S.A.D during summer..always kinda wondered if thats what was effecting me up there, i dont live there anymore though, at least for the time being.

hey! im from anchorage! but i wish my situation was reversed like yours. summer was ok for me but the winter...it was extremely horrible. come to think about it, all of my suicide attempts are during winter. is s.a.d. sometimes confused with bipolar disorder or is it all the same? im confused now
Type2_bp
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby diemm » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 am

The thing we most need to know about S.A.D. is this... we need SUNSHINE!

When sunlight hits and enters our retina it stimulates the chemical production inside our brain.
These brain chemicals are essential for mood. They make us feel better, more positive, and they give us energy. Exercise along with sunshine is wonderful and very necessary to alleviate the negative and exhaustive symptoms of S.A.D. Another interesting fact is that Sunshine also assists in giving the body Vitamin D, which is essential for the critical workings inside the body.

My psychiatrist recommended a light box. I got an inexpensive one called a Happy Lite, and when we have gloomy weeks, or when the days are short and cold during the Winter, I will sit with mine and it helps a LOT.
NOTE: You need to buy one with at LEAST 10,000 LUX in order for it to be efficient, however.

Below is a quote from Natural news--
"A proactive approach to prevention can assist in the avoidance of the many chronic diseases associated with vitamin D deficiency. For one, thousands of dollars can be saved, not to mention the peace of mind, simply at the cost of taking a walk under the sun."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035089_vitam ... z2QljwwDwl
http://www.verilux.com/light-therapy-la ... t-therapy/

-- Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 pm --

hey! im from anchorage! but i wish my situation was reversed like yours. summer was ok for me but the winter...it was extremely horrible. come to think about it, all of my suicide attempts are during winter. is s.a.d. sometimes confused with bipolar disorder or is it all the same? im confused now

I just posted re: SAD...I hope you will check it out because I've suffered with SAD for many years.
It's miserable, and since you mentioned suicide you need help NOW! SAD and Bi-polar Disorder are highly treatable. I know because I suffer with BOTH disorders.

Good luck, and God Bless.
When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the ones that hurt us. - Claire Frazier-Yzaguirre

check out this inspirational link.. http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/about-nick/
diemm
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby geocosmos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 pm

janjones wrote:Welcome to the forum OregonYeti :D

it isn’t as active a forum as some others.
Again, welcome and hope to see you around :D
Jan

Maybe it is not active in winter...:-)
Geo
geocosmos
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:51 am

Postby HesDeltanCaptain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:37 pm

In Scandinavia, where SAD is a real problem they'r eusing light-therapy now. Replacing lightbulbs with bulbs which emit light at certain frequencies more akin to natural sunlight to offset the reduced sunlight in those places. Those with SAD might look into this as a better option than pharmaceuticals (whicxh always have side-effects.)

Can google 'SAD light therapy' and see ads for these bulbs.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I pretended to be." - Me.
HesDeltanCaptain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum