Our partner

Seasonal blues

Seasonal Affective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Seasonal blues

Postby stateofgrace » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi guys,

I am a new user and this is my first time posting here.

I am 21, I study hospitality at university and I have been feeling kind of out of it lately.

The thing is, I live in Moscow, Russia, and it starts to get cold here pretty early, I mean, it's already 0 outside, with some snow-rain. And this weather makes me want to stay at home all day, for example this week I only went to class twice. Even though I know it's bad for my grades and overall learning, I can't help it. It's been hard even waking up in the morning or doing something as simple as making breakfast. I often feel sad and insecure about myself too.

I have been trying to get support from my friends, but they're all very busy people and I often can't hang out with them.

Does anyone have some good advice on how to battle this seasonal blues?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)
stateofgrace
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Seasonal blues

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 am

Hi, welcome to the forums, sorry for the late reply.

My boyfriend suffers from SAD, and is unmedicated. I give him a few tips to get through the tough times, and they usually work for him,

1.Be sure you're eating right. Don't skip any meals and try to cut out junk food. I'm not sure what they all have in Russia, but try to add some healthy foods in.

2. Challenge to urge negativity. My boyfriend often times wonders what the point of his life is. He's currently out of school for the semester, but going back the next, and doesn't have a job. I sometimes have to help him with his negative thoughts, nut you're going to school. If your dressing is making you question your existence, just remember, you're getting a degree one day and you're going to be someone.

3. Try do something new or something that you don't do often. Maybe try reading a book that people have recommended to you. I know for a fact that Russia has had a long list of good authors. I'm currently on a Russian literature kick.

4. Be sure you're getting enough sleep. Sleep is important, very important. It can bring on a plethora of mental health issues if you don't get enough, including depression..

5. Have fun. Try to go out with friends, watch a movie, play some games, that sort of thing.

Hope this helps, even a little. Stay strong.
Email me if you want a doughnut or some dairy products

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby stateofgrace » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:46 am

Hi @tyler77,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I'm sorry your boyfriend also suffers from SAD. You must be one heck of a pro at this if you are managing to help him go through it! :)

Thank you so much for your detailed advice. I have been feeling much more active this week. Last night I even joined a gym and went for the first time! I remember that in the past exercising helped me get rid of negativity.

Also, it's my mom's birthday soon, and we're going to leave the city for a weekend, and it makes me excited :)

Thank you again for your encouragement. :)
stateofgrace
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:09 pm

You're welcome! X3

Yeah, I was going to mention exercise. It's a big thing in making you feel good about yourself. I don't preach that one because I'm not in the best shape, and my boyfriend really doesn't exercise. X3

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Keep it up!
Email me if you want a doughnut or some dairy products

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Return to Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post