Our partner

Possible SAD?

Seasonal Affective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Possible SAD?

Postby mitfy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:32 pm

hi.

i suspect that i might have SAD, but during the summer.

ever since i was in seventh grade i knew i had depression. in seventh/eighth grade my anxiety was also through the roof - my main stressor being band. i noticed my anxiety more than my depression, the anxiety most likely causing some of the symptoms. once middle school was over my anxiety was for the most part released, but my depressive symptoms seemed way more prevalent than before. they continued throughout the summertime and into the beginning of the school year. sometime in the winter though, i think my symptoms kind of faded. i felt more content/indifferent, my main stressor was gone since i quit band so my anxiety was limited to the little bit of social anxiety left over. though, around january, i began to suspect that i have schizoid personality disorder. after all of that research, i feel comfortable saying that i do have szpd, but i'm still not professionally diagnosed.

that's not the point though. during my research for that i stumbled upon SAD. it seasonally matched with my symptoms from last summer, but i believe more of my symptoms matched up with what's typical of winter SAD. i felt very hopeless/sad, exhausted/fatigued, and bored, my sleeping habits switched to going to sleep in the AM's and waking up in the PM's, and oversleeping very often. still, sometimes i would have lots of trouble falling asleep anyways.
during the summer my appetite would change; sometimes i would eat a lot during the day (mostly snacks, like chips/pretzels, not often complete meals unless i felt like actually making them) and sometimes i would have like a bowl of cereal and nothing else until my parents got home in the evening and made dinner. i never wanted to go anywhere (i never want to go anywhere, a symptom of szpd, but it was much more prevalent during the summer). i can't remember how my suicidal thoughts differed from that summer and the winter before/after.
i believe this was during the summer (though i believe continued on for a bit through the fall/early winter) when i also experienced a lot of sensory overload: i would spend the day alone with the only noises being music i was playing or general background noise from outside/my pets. but then, my dad would come home and start dinner, proceeding to turn on more lights, turning on the news (at a bit of a loud volume), and make lots of noise with the dishes/pots/pans/etc. while prepping for dinner. then my mom would come home and start talking with my dad, and my mom would get stressed easily from work and come home in a bad mood, speaking in a louder voice (and in general both would talk louder due to other noises). all of this noise would be agitating and made me very anxious and upset/distressed, sometimes to the point where listening to music wouldn't help and i'd have to retreat to my room.

also, i live in florida, aka "it's sunny and green all the time," and i believe summertime SAD is more common here (i'm not 100% sure though so correct me if i'm wrong).
though this past year i've noticed how i prefer the warmth, and i also love the rain (it storms much more during the summer in florida than other seasons), and during the winter i was much more irritable and had more violent urges.
and, if this makes a difference, when i was younger (probably elementary school, i can't remember) i was told i was deficient on vitamin d, and i took vitamins for awhile i didn't stick to it for very long, and haven't been tested since then.

so far this year, i've been out of school for a bit over a week. i haven't noticed too many depressive features yet, but i'm already starting to feel a bit more generally anxious than before. i'm waiting to see if the symptoms continue through this summer, but based on this information, does anyone think it's possible for me to have summertime SAD? or could it be symptoms related to szpd or normal/another type of depression?
(if this thread should go into another section of the forum please let me know)

sorry this was long and a bit all over the place, but thank you for the help.
mitfy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Possible SAD?

Postby Auxiliary11 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm thinking I may have the same. I feel chronic apathy all year round, yet the low-mood (that isn't triggered by my thoughts) seems to creep up around late June or early July. Along with this I can also feel down around early Winter.

During 2013 it came around Winter -- during 2014 it came around Winter and Late Summer (after I finished my first year of College) -- during 2015 it came around Winter -- and now during 2016 it's came around Summer (and presumably Winter if this pattern still follows). My memory is poor, but I believe that's how it went.

I always thought what I had was Chronic Depression, however it seems a more accurate Dx. would be SAD with Dysthymic-like moods. Like you, I've began to oversleep again often I have trouble leaving my bed, yet at the same time I wake up at multiple times during the night; my mood is also 'grey' and alternatively 'sad'; my appetite has lessened, and I'm also fatigued. Only symptom which I don't have is low concentration. When the sun hits my face you would think I'd feel happy, and yet all I feel is overheated.

I've looked through all your symptoms and it does seem like you have it, although no one can diagnose anyone here. Schizoids aren't exactly the cheeriest bunch, however, given that your depression mysteriously appeared around Winter/Summer it does err on the side of SAD.

mitfy wrote:i also love the rain

Same here. It's been raining all this week, it's only just got out nice today.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:45 pm

Postby mitfy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Auxiliary11 wrote:I always thought what I had was Chronic Depression, however it seems a more accurate Dx. would be SAD with Dysthymic-like moods.

i always thought the same, too. i'm still looking at different types of depression that may apply, like atypical depression.

Auxiliary11 wrote:I've looked through all your symptoms and it does seem like you have it, although no one can diagnose anyone here. Schizoids aren't exactly the cheeriest bunch, however, given that your depression mysteriously appeared around Winter/Summer it does err on the side of SAD.

it's not that it "appeared" but more that it increased or became more prevalent. it's summer now and i don't feel too many mood changes or anything really. it could just be possible i have some depressive features of szpd.

thank you for your reply!
mitfy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:11 am

It's hard to really pinpoint some things but I would suggest you write these things down and when you get a chance, go see your doctor. You deserve to be well so you should get what treatment you need in order to be well.

I somehow have loved cloudy days and rain. I love to splash in the rain and when it's cold and cloudy you can find me at the mall doing some major shopping because I am so happy. I was like this for years. But now, I enjoy the sun a little more. During early fall, I "bask in the sun" because it feels so good to be alive.

I do relate to feeling "down" during summer months. For some reason, going to the pool didn't seem fun for me. Now I love it! Strange how it can be like that. And I felt like that for many years.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (131)

Return to Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum