Our partner

Vitamin D deficiency and SAD?

Seasonal Affective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Vitamin D deficiency and SAD?

Postby Shaysage » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Hello!
So I was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency last winter and was told I have to take it for the rest of my life. My symptoms were lethargy, anxiety, loss of interest, weight gain and being tired a lot. I've had these symptoms every year since I was about 18 with a prior major depressive episode that lasted 3 years and anxiety that I've only just managed now.
The thing is - even with the vit d I still feel the same symptoms, they're just not AS bad, but still pretty debilitating. In the summer I'm very happy and dull of energy and lose my appetite and generally feel good.
I just don't know if the vitamin d will negate a diagnosis of SAD- can you have both? Can they be related?? There's not a lot of info around online...
Shaysage
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Vitamin D deficiency and SAD?

Postby pdxtra » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked again? Sometimes the dose needs to be increased to get up to 50 ng/ml, which is what the Vitamin D Council recommends. You could also try light therapy. A psychologist can help you sort things out. If these options don't work for you, there are prescriptions available as well.
pdxtra
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm

Re: Vitamin D deficiency and SAD?

Postby lostavenue » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm

The symptoms you mentioned are classic symptoms of a lot of other medical problems including hormonal problems. I presented with similar issues and found out I had low tesosterone. Started supplementing and I feel great! Make sure you talk to someone besides a psychiatrist about these concerns!
lostavenue
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:15 pm

Return to Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum