Our partner

SAD Lighting advice

Seasonal Affective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

SAD Lighting advice

Postby Blue407 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi

My Wife suffers every Winter with SAD and I believe I do as well, but to a lesser extent.

I have read lots online about using Light Boxes, is this the only option?
For example our Lounge at home is both poorly lit and also only has a relatively small set of Windows.

I was wondering if it would make more sense to make the whole room a SAD area? Perhaps either upgrading or adding extra lighting to ensure the time we spend in their watching TV is also helping us with SAD in the Winter months.
Has anybody else tried this concept?
Blue407
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: SAD Lighting advice

Postby swishswash » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Hello blue407
I've started to think about how to get through winter. I'm rearranging the house and decluttering. I've put up mirrors around one lounge window and think I'll do the same for the other window..
Part of this year's winter survival plan is to make enough room for moving around in my living areas, so that I can move freely around, and not be confined by too much clutter.
Ohh yes have on all the lights you can, I'm needing to schedule in time outside I find it far too tempting to snuggle under the duvet when it gets cool. When I probably need real outdoor light.
How about making the kitchen lighter too? Limiting yourself to just one room would become quite claustrophobic.
With the clock change coming up I'm very conscious that the evenings will become coolder too. So my heating will go on soon too, hopefully that will help fight against the urge to hibernate.
swishswash
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:44 am

Postby Benny G » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:21 am

Treating SAD relies on 3 variables in relation to light:

1) Energy of light (lux)
2) colour of light (blues & greens work best)
3) How much of that light reaches the eye.

Number 3 is important. having a bright room is no good if only a fraction of that light reaches the eye. I use a portable / wearable device which is light therapy glasses. They really well.

Don't over engineer your room !

have a great day.
Benny G
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Postby Snaga » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:14 pm

As far as lights go, I got one as a Xmas gift for someone, and did a lot of looking on Amazon, Walgreen's, etc. Finally picked something based on review of similar portable devices. I'm going to keep tabs on how they like it and report back in SAD if it seems like a good device.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:44 am

Postby lostavenue » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Light boxes work wonders for SAD, at least for me. Also, during the winter we're exposed to less sunlight which causes vitamin D deficiencies. So taking vitamin D during the winter is a good idea as long as your doctor approves.
lostavenue
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Llb1961 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:43 pm

I have bipolar disorder and sad. I was told by my psychiatrist who is very capable and intelligent but not perfect of course, that for me staying under a light box could trigger a manic or hypo manic episode. I don't know if it could be true for all diagnosed w bipolar disorder.
I get sad at the end of winter and into spring. It seems like I would feel better in the spring but I tend to stay indoors. Also get sad at the end of August.
Linda
Llb1961
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:49 am

Llb1961 wrote:I have bipolar disorder and sad. I was told by my psychiatrist who is very capable and intelligent but not perfect of course, that for me staying under a light box could trigger a manic or hypo manic episode

Apparently so, something for folks to remember...

Mayo Clinic: Tests and Procedures- Light therapy

Light therapy is generally safe. If side effects occur, they're usually mild and short lasting. They may include:

Eyestrain
Headache
Nausea
Irritability or agitation
Mania, euphoria, hyperactivity or agitation associated with bipolar disorder

Caution for bipolar disorder

Light therapy may trigger mania in some people with bipolar disorder. If you have any concerns about how light therapy may be affecting your mood or thoughts, seek help right away

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Return to Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post