Our partner

Are blackout curtains a good idea?

Seasonal Affective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Are blackout curtains a good idea?

Postby hollyjean » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:07 pm

I am wanting to hear people's thought on and experiences with blackout curtains. I've never heard that they're bad for you. In fact, everyone seems to claim that they improve sleep. I guess this is because they block out artificial light that can disturb your sleep and cause depression. However, they also block out sunlight and isn't it best to wake up naturally with the sun?? I know that when I was sleeping in a basement with no windows, I was always sleepy, had the hardest time getting up, my depression got really severe, and I even attempted suicide. Years later I was dating a guy with blackout curtains and again my depression got really bad. It wasn't until then that I made the connection. Now I sleep on the 3rd floor and just have blinds that let some sunlight in each morning and I usually wake up naturally before my alarm goes off. I find it much easier to get out of bed. I think if I went back to waking up to an alarm in total darkness I would probably go back to being sleepy and depressed.

Any thoughts?
hollyjean
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are blackout curtains a good idea?

Postby jilkens » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 am

Hi hollyjean,

I think that whatever works best for you and keeps your depression at bay is what you should stick with. Blackout curtains are great in some cases, but for someone who needs the sun rising as a cue to wake up, it's probably not a great idea.
Blame it on me, but know that I won't regret one iota.
jilkens
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby HesDeltanCaptain » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Good idea if Jewish and observing a mourning period (sitting shiva.) Bad idea the rest of the time. Only people I've heard using these are military people sleeping at odd times when others are awake. Our sleep rhythm shouldn't be in sync with the sun being up or not anyway. That'd have you sleeping 14 or more hours in winter and only 7 or 8 in summer in some locales. And what about the poles? :) Sleep when you're sleepy. Get up when you're not.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I pretended to be." - Me.
HesDeltanCaptain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby furhuj » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am

They are useful but it depends on the situation. Suppose you are living in a high-temperature city then blackout curtains can do the very good job to block the heat from outside and even in the winters they help you keep your room more warmer. There are thermal insulated curtains with thick and heavy material and they come handy to block heat and cold as mentioned by reviewpen in this post. I am not really sure they improve the sleep or not but they help you to block the heat and cold and that's the main purpose of these curtaions.

But your situation is a bit different and I agree when we have fresh air or sunlight we feel more fresh and active. I slept many times in a village with open air and usually I wake up at 5 am without an alarm clock on the other hand in my city I am using the air conditioner and wake up around 7 am (I feel more sleepy even after more hours of sleep). I think this situation is very common for most of the people.

If blackout curtains disturbing you then definitely do not use them. But they come handy in different situations as mentioned above.
furhuj
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Seasonal Affective Disorder Forum