Our partner

22m recently diagnosed

Schizotypal Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

22m recently diagnosed

Postby streetglow2000 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Diagnosed with either Schizoaffective or bipolar- docs arent. i know i have one of them, since ive had both manic and depressive episodes with heavy psychosis.

But what bothered me is the doctors feeling that my personality structure was schizotypal. Below ive outlined my behaviours according to the criteria. Any opinions would be appreciated. note i realise this isnt a diagnostic forum but im seeking just advice-

do these signs sound like the doctors are right in their assumption?

-I tend to avoid eye contact (not autistic type tho), my emotional expression is blunted and i seem cold

-I wouldnt say i appear odd, but perhaps eccentric, wearing rather colourful patterned clothes often. But my behaviour is strange, i dont understand realtionships, so i tend to do inappropriate things sometimes knowing they are, that being just one example.

-im paranoid that others plan to plot against me often so i have social anxiety cos of it

-im REALLY into UFO's, thinking my thoughts move trees, psychic powers, mood changes weather etc.

-my speech is circumstantial, vague and is often confusing but can be just made out/understood

-apparently i have magical thinking and ideas of reference, seperate to my diagnosis, according to docs

Thanks!
streetglow2000
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 22m recently diagnosed

Postby malou » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 pm

keep in mind that in the usa bipolar is overdiagnosed
malou
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 am

Postby user03 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 am

malou wrote:keep in mind that in the usa bipolar is overdiagnosed

i actually find this ironic but also NOT surprising at the same time, and that's because from my experience, the majority of people i've met in mental health groups / clinics in person and even online for various commorbid conditions, much of them had manic depressive disorders, but very few of them had plain "vanilla" depression or what would be called "unipolar depression", the combination of disorders mostly ended up with some kind of commorbid variation of manic depression with or without psychosis.

although to answer the op's question to not get too off point, you do seem to fit the stereotypical traits that are described / listed for schizotypal PD, it is unclear whether or not you have schizotypal PD or not, i can't diagnose you of course, and at the same time, the very definition of schizotypal PD is vague like many, and misdiagnoses can happen, i myself believe that i may be misdiagnosed with schizotypal PD. conditions such as sluggish cognitive tempo and "vulnerable narcissism" seem to explain me better with severe depression as a commorbidity.

the last psychiatrist i saw believed my "traits", or deamonor or way of interacting made her believe i may have schizoaffective disorder, but this of course hasn't been talked about yet with my current therapist and in general, the other things being psychosis / schizotypal PD, hypomania, etc. if i do have schizoaffective disorder, then it would only be an addition to having a personality disorder, and when i say PD, i am not saying specifically schizotypal PD, but rather having a personality disorder as a whole, i actually would rather have a diagnosis of Personality disorder NOS, instead of schizotypal PD, since diagnosis labeling is a bit iffy anyways, but the PD nos imo might be better.

sorry if i may have derailed your post op, but i feel like this information is necessary to be explained. as far as the other things you mentioned, the only ones i relate to you really is difficulty with eye contact, but that's because it's been something subjectified by others as a problem, i actually been traumatized and emotionally affected a lot in the recent past because other people expected me to have more eye contact or attention to things when they are too dumb to understand my way of interaction / capacity of thought is simply different than theirs.

for example, when i saw a academic counselor recently and i did my usual of staring down or away to process information in the way that i always would and just being myself, having eye contact every now and then whenever i had capacity to, she at one point said something along the lines of, you're not gonna understand if you keep looking over there, or stop looking there, and this itself basically caused brain damage as did many other people in the past when they'd give me a cold / tough and non understanding way of communication. they don't get how difficult it is for me to not only process information and then communicate myself but also tolerate the other person if i don't like them and / or they are giving me a hard time with their cold demeanor / pre assuming judgements, rushing me, or their impatient nature such as interrupting my communication or points and taking over the communication in general.

with one lady, it was soo bad that i couldn't self regulated myself any more and i said something assaulting, that i really don't like people like you, i am gonna break everything in this room ( because i literally was gonna explode in physical rage, luckily though i didn't ), and then she got the cops to come later, and i got kicked out of college temporarily for that. she was a really bad person, one of the worst types of people i encountered, although many people are not shy of here that i meet regularly, they contribute a lot to my depression, anger, trauma, and other conditions or problems, a lot of which were people online.
user03
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 am

Postby malou » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 am

@up have you read Robert Whitaker?
malou
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:33 am