Our partner

Do you believe that your toys are alive?

Schizotypal Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do you believe that your toys are alive?

Postby mongrel23 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:35 am

I have this habit of collecting a lot of animal toys because I feel like I need to rescue them. I feel like God could have put my ancestors' souls into these little creatures because the toys are my guardian angels. I'm also just an animal person in general. I really want one of those Crate Creatures specifically the Snort Hog even though I'm almost 23 years old.
mongrel23
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you believe that your toys are alive?

Postby malou » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:31 am

toys arent alive and guardian angels dont exist (unless you have psychosis)
malou
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:27 am

Postby Lucid » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 pm

I feel this way often. I have been embarrassed about it but I see them as vessels I put personality traits into. I often imagine myself doing things with them like tea parties or walking through fantasy landscapes. I do not imagine them to be my ancestors or that I am God. But I had to stop buying them because I felt like I would rather own a few I could give quality experiences to than many.

I think I do this because even when I was a kid I was very lonely so I would look for characters and the inanimate to give life to instead of interacting with the real living beings around me.

For real animals and people, I like people more now since they show more interest towards me and I like speaking and learning about them more as they present themselves to be complex. For animals, I like them from a far away perspective but I always found it strange i like my stuffed animals more than real animals. I think it is because they present themselves to be immortal and not as temporary or prone to loss as the real animal.

(Sorry i did not mean to resurrect this thread. I wonder if other people feel this though.)
Diagnosed: Aspergers
Lucid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby hydrangea00 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 am

Lucid wrote:I feel this way often. I have been embarrassed about it but I see them as vessels I put personality traits into. I often imagine myself doing things with them like tea parties or walking through fantasy landscapes. I do not imagine them to be my ancestors or that I am God. But I had to stop buying them because I felt like I would rather own a few I could give quality experiences to than many.

I think I do this because even when I was a kid I was very lonely so I would look for characters and the inanimate to give life to instead of interacting with the real living beings around me.

For real animals and people, I like people more now since they show more interest towards me and I like speaking and learning about them more as they present themselves to be complex. For animals, I like them from a far away perspective but I always found it strange i like my stuffed animals more than real animals. I think it is because they present themselves to be immortal and not as temporary or prone to loss as the real animal.

(Sorry i did not mean to resurrect this thread. I wonder if other people feel this though.)

I feel all of the above. You are not alone
hydrangea00
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Lucid » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:37 am

hydrangea00 wrote:I feel all of the above. You are not alone

Thank you for the reassurance :) I was wondering if you could elaborate a little. I would kind of like to know more in detail what scenarios you and your stuffed animals partake in.

For me, I often imagine them taking care of or protecting me in a way. I am someone who puts a lot of emotional fuel into them that at time I am not able to show to other people because I am afraid of their reactions or lack there of could be. I usually partake in more simple scenarios with them. It could be at times because I can be complicated or think too much. So I kind of feel more comfortable with more simple thoughts with them.
Lucid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby poxalis » Fri May 15, 2020 10:34 pm

im positive i had a toy that really was alive. it cried out for me to stop as I tore it's batteries out. ######6 furbies. their global eyes are a bit haunting, yeah? other than that i did used to have this little collection of miniature string dolls (voodoo type things, but just china made collectibles for goth kids to waste money on). i'd carry them around in my pockets when i needed emotional support outside. it was as if they could whisper assurances by just rubbing my fingers over their rough texture in my pocket.

i was an adult by the way.

they weren't alive though. but i made them so with my mind. in order to receive something i couldn't get from others. that was just a brief time though. one time i left them at home and crated one from rice and the restaurant. it was too much though. i felt weird about putting my trust in something so vulnerable so i went outside and threw it as far as i could.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby setst777 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:23 am

I can definitely empathize. Actually, no matter how much I try to rationalize, I cannot help but believe, and know for a certainty, that everything that man has made for a purpose has consciousness. And every plant has consciousness. All of these are aware of their existence, and how they are being treated by others - whether that something is a plant, or a stuffed animal, a figurine, an automobile, a computer, a clock, a grocery cart, all the products on store shelves, a printer, and so many other things. All of these things have purpose; and so, I cannot help but believe and know that all these things are "alive" having feelings and consciousness.

Along these same lines, I also believe and know for a certainty that all animals and insects, even worms and slugs are just as conscious as humans are, with feelings, although their their minds and bodies are adapted to function according to their purpose.

Because of how I feel about these things, I cannot help but treat all things with respect, and feel sad for those things that are mistreated by others.

These feelings are why I choose not to have any more plants in the house, or any more stuffed animals, or anything else that would give me reason to feel sad if anything should happen to them.

Blessings
setst777
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Postby Lucid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 pm

setst777 wrote:I can definitely empathize. Actually, no matter how much I try to rationalize, I cannot help but believe, and know for a certainty, that everything that man has made for a purpose has consciousness.

I feel this, but only sometimes. It has made me feel slight guilt when I throw things out. Culturally, the Japanese history composed of Yo-Kai states similar, that things that have served a purpose-objects can be haunted with a force or spirit. when getting rid of something, they thank the item or try to recycle it into something else. Whenever I have to part with something, i sometimes kiss it and thank it. I try and goodwill it as much as possible in hopes someone will treat it with good love.
Lucid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby voidance » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 am

When I was young, my grandmother handmade a teddy for me. I never felt as though it was animated however I did feel a presence within it.

I had a routine when I put myself to bed where I would have to turn all my stuffed toys around so they wouldn't look at me while I was sleeping but this particular bear would give me this intense feeling of dread to the point where I was locked in my room screaming to get out just to be away from it.

I was not allowed out and remember vividly a five year old's attempt to commit suicide which did not work out, obviously.

I also had a porcelain doll (I had many, to be fair on this subject) that also, I felt, had a certain benevolent presence to it.
voidance
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:27 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:46 am

I don't do this, but it seems like a fairly harmless activity. Children do it with their toys and it's encouraged, as it helps them to learn social rules. People do some crazy stuff to get through their social issues, talking to stuffed animals doesn't seem that odd by comparison.

Question for anyone: how do you get on with AI assistants like Alexa etc? Do you try to converse with them or is it too prescribed?
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:27 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Schizotypal Personality Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post