Our partner

Disorganized Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Disorganized Schizophrenia

Postby temporary » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:52 am

Anyone know anything about this type of schizophrenia? I've read a lot about paranoid schizophrenia, but I can't find too much information on disorganized schizophrenia, and without going into specifics there's a pretty good possibility that this is the one that I'm going to end up with.

Any general advice on living with schizophrenia (or maybe prevent it?) would also be appreciated. Thanks.
temporary
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Disorganized Schizophrenia

Postby Xuridas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Try this site out...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/disorg ... ia/ds00864

I'm sure there are better sites out there, but this is a start. I'll tell you what my pdoc told me: Get sleep, take your medication, and be careful around drugs and alcohol. If you're not seeing anyone about this yet, I suggest that you go as soon as you can. This isn't the type of thing that just goes away and gets better.
I'm just wierd like that.
Xuridas
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:58 am

Postby Peptron » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Disorganized schizophrenia is what my father had, and because of that, is the type of schizophrenia I know the most about. It's also the type of schizophrenia I am afraid to develop, despite having been told a million times that I am not really at risk.

Here is somewhere were we talked about the link between Schizoid, Schizotypal (the schizoid-styled sub-type) and disorganized schizophrenia:
http://www.schizoids.net/forum/showthre ... chizotypal

According to the evolutionary theory, the negative symptoms of the schizotypal capture and
exaggerate the social apathy of the more intact schizoid, and the positive symptoms
capture and exaggerate the more intact avoidant.
Alienated from others and marginal members of society, schizoid-based schizotypals
turn increasingly to solitary thoughts. Over time, shared social behaviors become fully
subordinate to private fantasy. Their thoughts are left to wander unchecked by the logic
and control of reciprocal social communication and activity. What they find within
themselves is hardly rewarding—a barren, colorless void that offers no basis for joyful
fantasy. Their inner personal world proves to be as dead and ungratifying as objective
reality. They have no choice, so it seems, but to turn to unreal fantasies. These, at least,
might fill in the void and give their existence some substance. Interest moves toward
the mystical and magical, to needed illusions and ideation that enables the person to
become a central, rather than a peripheral and insignificant, figure.

Feelings of being hollow, empty, decaying, or dead inside, for example, caricature
the depersonalized passive-detachment of the schizoid pattern. Lacking energy and initiative,
these individuals neither engage others nor generate anything to fill their own
internal void. Eventually, they exist only as living absence. Likewise, individuals
who claim access to special modes of information and privileged dimensions
of reality caricature the active-detachment of the avoidant, for whom hypervigilance
and the construction of a withdrawn fantasy life are core traits. As the structural defect
becomes more profound, it finally destroys integration itself as the defining characteristic
of personality. Only the negative and positive symptoms of schizophrenia remain,
residuals of the passive and active detachment of the schizoid and avoidant personalities.

It would seem that my father is an example of somebody that experienced just that: he disintegrated all the way to disorganized schizophrenia. It seems that a desire for a rich fantasy life and lack of emotion do not mix well, and my father would have found a way to cheat the system: take drugs to amplify his emotions, effectively making himself more numb and void over time, and at the end he was completely out of this world, fantasy-life speaking.

That's interesting because it explains just how a schizoid can turn schizophrenic, and exactly what way it happens.
schizoid => (schizoid-style) schizotypal => disorganized schizophrenia.
At the schizoid point you feel rather void, your personality lacks substance, and your emotional detachment interferes with your capacity to enjoy anything. If left unchecked or if you try to boost your emotions through chemical means, you can further disintegrate into schizotypal, where in addition to the void you add a general sense of slipping out of reality, and a mixing of reality and fantasy, making you unable to realise that mysticism and such are unrelated to reality since your inner world is too diffuse by now to get any sense of meaning anywhere, even at the intellectual level: you are now impared in your capacity to tell what is real from what is not. And it can disintegrate yet further into schizophrenia, where your inner world is just a total psychotic chaotic void. Funny, but that reminds me of the three "dimensions" in Silent Hill: "The Fog world" outside the dark places => "The Fog world" in the dark places => "The Otherworld".
INTP, E--A=C-N--O=
Peptron
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am

Postby Ecco » Sun May 02, 2010 6:40 am

I've seen people in my neighborhood that speak in word salad and laugh all the time at nothing. I imagine they probably have disorganized schizophrenia. I have the disorganized speech symptom, but am not diagnosed with schizophrenia. With me the problem with speech started when I reduced my medication and seems to happen when I feel restless and feel a urge to talk in nonsense. My old psychiatrist said people with this subtype are very silly and childish and can't communicate to people what is wrong with them.
Ecco
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Postby Blank2908290 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 am

I'm pretty sure I have this.

When I'm really trying to connect to people I have a hard time expressing what I really mean. The things I say don't make logical sense. Your psychiatrist, whomever posted that about where psychiatrist said "take your meds, sleep, get plenty of rest". That sounds like a death sentence to me. There are tons of books out there...medication is one of many treatments. There's also shock therapy(i know, but I'd do it), psychotherapy(CBT), etc.

My therapist told me it's chronic but I refuse to believe I can't get to a point where I can actually express myself adequately without having to plan out what I'm going to say. Also said, therapy wouldn't benefit me without being on meds.

[Symptoms*]
Lose Focus
Confusing lingo/communication problems when I get really excited and or overwhelmed
Bouts of Anger
Deep Sadness
Confused about reality. The other day a girl was working the chopping board at the deli in the grocery store and I talked immediately to her like she was the cashier, and she gave me a funny look. So did the lady she was helping. Good to talk about this!
[*]

I've been hospitalized a couple times right before 18. They gave me the major depression and bipolar disorder diagnosis.
Life is beautiful

Don't think, FEEL!
Blank2908290
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:58 am

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post