Our partner

Would they put me in the psych unit if I told the truth?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Would they put me in the psych unit if I told the truth?

Postby Tuffy » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:47 am

hey there! I'm afraid to tell a doctor about my schizophrenia symptoms because I'm afraid they would put me in the psych unit if told them. My leader is named Tuffy she tells me what to do in life. I'm the only one that sees Tuffy. I talk to Tuffy all day, she is my friend. I refuse to take antipsychotic medication because they cause weight gain, so I'm only taking Paxil and Buspar. I'm a bodybuilder with a very low bodyfat percentage and I want to keep it that way. I'm too afraid to tell a doctor about my symptoms because I'm afraid they will put me in a psych unit.
Tuffy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Would they put me in the psych unit if I told the truth?

Postby Otter » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:25 am

Have you ever been in a psych unit? I have had some pretty bad times but no one was going to put me anywhere unless I exhibited behavior that could harm others or myself. And even then...

I have only ever been in a hospital voluntarily.

So, as long as you explain what is happening and they feel you are safe (and safe to others) I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, I have had some tough times and my Psych didn't blink an eye - she let me go on my way.

Do you want Tuffy to go away? Is Tuffy making it so you can't live a productive life?
Image Otter Space Man
Otter
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:28 am

Postby Snaga » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:41 am

Tuffy wrote:I refuse to take antipsychotic medication because they cause weight gain

Has anyone tried to get you to take antipsychotics? I see you're taking stuff for depression and anxiety. Do we even know this is schizophrenia? Won't know, unless you talk to someone about it, just sayin'.
We do not delete posts.
Please do read the Forum Rules
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Tuffy » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:02 am

I take Paxil and Buspar to treat the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I love Tuffy and I would not part from her if my life depended on it. Its the other symptoms that are killing me, I'm just afraid of telling them about Tuffy.
Tuffy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:28 am

Postby Snaga » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:16 am

Well, they already know you have schizophrenia so then I'm not sure I see a problem here. It's not as if you don't understand that Tuffy is someone that only you see. Even if you didn't... look I had extended family that was pretty severely schizophrenic, and the only times he'd go inpatient was when he had serious, serious issues with his sense of reality and self-control. And in his later life, that was almost exclusively whenever he'd get a new public mental health doctor who'd try to adjust his meds (he was on some truly nasty old-school meds I'm not even sure anyone uses anymore). As far as seeing people that aren't there... that alone was not enough. He'd do that every so often- I mean to the point that we knew about it. I mean, like Otter said- if you're not a danger to yourself or others.. if Tuffy isn't telling you to do anything Godawful, then really I would think what's the big deal? If Tuffy is a help in your life, what's the harm? I'm not sure they'd see any. And again, you understand only you see Tuffy. Therefore... you have a grasp on reality. At least, in my opinion. You know that Tuffy seems real to you, but not to others. I'm no shrink, but to me that demonstrates a level of control over your disorder that doesn't scream 'psych ward'. Or even antipsychotics, assuming that Tuffy doesn't keep you from being functional in society and able to interact with others and care for yourself.

You won't know what they think about Tuffy, if you don't tell them. I feel as if you want to- I mean otherwise why worry over it, yes? For that matter, how do you know for sure, that they don't already know you see someone others don't? You have schizophrenia, it's not as if they would be terribly surprised by the news. I mean, they're the ones being paid to get inside the Human mind- they may know more than you think. I mean, if I were under mental health care, I'd assume they knew more about me than I did- that's what they're paid to do.
We do not delete posts.
Please do read the Forum Rules
Snaga
Site Admin

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post